• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insurance Question?

tjhunter

Question

I'm trying to get insurance for a boat that is rate for a max hp of 80, but I put an 85 on it. My insurance agent asked for the hull rating and I told them I wasn't sure. Will this be a problem? Will other agents overlook this or not need this info?

tjhunter

2 answers to this question

That is a tough one! If your agent does find you a policy you better make sure you read it to verify for yourself that you don't have a liability problem there.

Most insurance companies won't allow you to exceed the plate rating...even by the old 10% number.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

TJ, you are in a tough spot. I spent many years selling boats and it is a question that came up many, many times. Even if you get insurance, should there ever be a claim the company will deny it if they ever find out the boat was over powered. If you were the one who mounted the motor you will be the one accept liability for creating what will be looked at as an unsafe condition. If a dealer mounted it then they will be on the hook for some or all of the liability. Since the rating plates are very specific in what the maximum HP allowed is you are not going to get any sympathy from an insurance company. I personally would not run a boat that was over the horsepower rating due to the fact that the liability and risk is just to great. grin.gif