Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjhunter

Motor dies when I put into gear

5 posts in this topic

I just bought a used 85 hp Suzuki and put it on my boat. It starts and idles fine, but when I put it into gear it dies. Any ideas on this?

tjhunter

I seem to recall someone I know had a similar problem with a Merc 70, I think he replaced the diaphram and it ran well after that.

Sounds line the carbs probably have some blockage. It is letting enough fuel through to run but when you give it the business it can't handle it not enough gas getting through. So I would guess that the previous owner didn't winterize it properly such as leaving gas in the system which gummed up the carbs. Start by cleaning your carbs and you might be set.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

I had something like that happen to me last year. It would die unless you let it warm up and slowly increase power. I could not just open it up and take off. I'm not sure if that is your case, but I fixed mine by reseting my carbs idel adjustment. Slowly turning the set screw and putting it in gear until I was happy with it.

Used to have a 15 hp Johnson with similiar problem. Turned out the vent on the fuel tank cap was jammed closed.