• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor/ Locator "Advice Please"

Question

To anyone willing to give advice:

I am looking at buying a new trolling motor and fish locator for my boat.
I currently have a 21' Triton with a Motor Guide 107# thrust trolling motor. The reason I want to change out the trolling motor is mainly because of interference with the puck transducer on the lower unit and the torque of the trolling motor itself.
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a PinPoint trolling motor and fish locator. The PinPoint has 5 transducers in the lower unit and is supposed to do a great job steering the boat automatically. I have also heard the PinPoint locators are some of the best on the market. So good in fact that you are able to see a split shot on the line in 20' of water.
Yesterday a coworker told me that PinPoint has stopped making trolling motors and has been bought out by Motor Guide.
I liked the idea of being able to connect the motor with the built in transducers to the locator with a single cable and from what I hear interference is all but eliminated.
The motor and locator would mean a large investment and I thought I would get some opinions from people who know before I spent the money.
Also the largest motor of this kind that is available that I can find is 80# of thrust and didn't want to under power the boat. I read on another forum that it should handle the boat because it is a true 80# thrust motor, whatever that means.
Thanks for any advice in advance and good fishing!
Thanks,
pleve

3 answers to this question

Motor Guide bought Pin Point like three years ago or so. They merged the best of both into each line up. I don't know much about performance though I have always fished Minn Kota Autopilot. Minn Kota hard to beat.

PoleBender

Pleve - I might be interested in your 107# Motor Guide if you are going to get rid of it. Drop me an email at [email protected] if you do decide to sell.

Good luck with your next purchase - I am also interested in hearing feedback from the more experienced guys on this topic.