• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel bearings

Dano2

Question

Just did my wheel bearings,
was wondering if its o.k. to have just a slight tish of play when you wiggle the wheel,
I am assuming NOT, there wasn't really before I started, heh, but thought I would ask fisrt before tearing in again,
I imagine I'll just have to turn the castle nut about a quarter turn or so, eh?
thanks

4 answers to this question

dano2, actually the correct way is to tighten the bearings down all the way and then backoff about a quarter of a turn.

Be very cautious of overtightening them, you will fry the bearings. And you can bet it will happen out in the middle of nowhere smile.gif Better to err on the side of slightly to loose, than to be too tight.

Take your trailer for a spin. A few miles will do it, then touch the hubs to see if they're warm. If they are, then either tighten or loosen the nut a little. They should be air temperature when you touch them.

PoleBender

Neighbour came by and gave them a wiggle, told me you cant have ANY wiggle and to tighten a little, so I did.
Today I drove a few miles to the car wash,
hubs were cool.
then after washing the boat, I hauled *** down the highway for about 15 miles,
got out and hubs fealt about luke warm,
hows that sound?
thanks