• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First, a short introduction. I am "Wizard", an admittedly self-proclaimed name, but it stuck about 10 years ago and my friends rarly call me by my first name, Tom. 5 years ago my brother and myself bought a cabin on LOTW just south of Morson. I fish for ALL species on the lake and on the Rainy River. As many of you know, "The Woods" can be (at times) a truly tremendous fishery!! At present I have 292 days fishing LOTW. I've learned and experienced alot on LOTW fishing and would love to talk fishing (of any and all techniques and methods)to any and everybody out there who loves fishing as I do. Pick a species and lets talk! This forum of information gathering and story telling is an opportunity too good to not be utilized by anyone who fishes LOTW and wouldn't mind putting a few more fish in the boat. Hope to here from someone soon.
Good fish'in, Wizard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to fishingmn.
I too am a LOTW fanatic. Usually spend 8-10 weekends a year on the water. Still have a lot to learn, but have also learned from experience (usually bad experience).
Mainly fish for eyes but will also chase Muskies every now and again. Usually doesn't matter if I am catching just so I'm fishing.

Hi Wizard, I make two 10 day trips to an island resort out of Morson every year (usually July and Oct) and would like to make more. Mostly walleye, crappie and muskie in Miles Bay, Obabikon, Little Traverse, and Dawson Island. There's a great group of guys on this forum who fish out of Morson and lots of sharing of info.

Wizard-

I am making just my second trip ever to LOW. I am a fishing fanatic - but only has the chance to get up there the first time last Fall. Even though we didnt have great weather and the fish bite was off - it was great fun! We are heading up this Wednesday for Monument Bay - staying on enchanted Island. Do you have any experience with this area?? I would love to know more about any techniques or areas to fish. We are a group of 4 and have been e-mailing each other every day - anticipating the trip. Thanks for any help!

My best Walleye fishung experiences up there hands down is the special season on the Rainy in spring. 2002 was our best year. 3 of us fished the last 6 days of the season. We caught 272 Walleyes total, including 2 - 25"ers, a 25 1/4"er, 5 - 25 1/2"ers, a 26"er, 3 - 26 1/4"ers, 2 - 26 3/4"ers, a 27 1/4"er, 2 - 27 1/2"ers, a 28"er, a 28 1/2"er, a 29 1/2"er, 2 - 30"ers, and a 30 3/4"er. And I can't not mention those bonus Sturgeon. We hooked a lot, but the biggest ones we got in the boat were 54", 54 1/2" and a 56 1/4". As far as Muskies go, i'm pretty much a beginner. I've only been pursuiting them for 4 years. Because I'm very much a Multi-species fisherman, I don't spend a lot of time chasing them. A little in the Sring, mostly the Fall. Last Fall, on Nov 1st, our last day on open water on LOTW. we put a 41 1/2"er, a 42 1/2"er and a 49 1/2"er in the boat while trolling 13" Grandmas, FUN!! That ain't bad, is it?
Last year during Memorial weekend we slaughter the Smallies, Walleyes and Northerns throwing Shad Raps at boulder shorelines. This year was pretty much a bust. I'm blaming this on our cold sring. If someone could give me a heads-up when the Smallies move back shallow and/or some water temp updates, I'd greatly appeciate it.
Miles Bay and Obabikon Lake are great, but well known fishing areas. I would love to try Little Traverse. I hear it's great for Muskie, but i've only been past the Rubber Island area once. Dawson Island and the areas to the South and East are where I spend 95% of my time pursuiting hard-water Walleyes. I've caught as many as 63 Walleyes in 4 hrs. in this area, thru the ice. And once in a while you'll pop a brute.
My next trip isn't for another couple weeks, but it's rare for me to go more than 3 weeks without visting my "happy place", so if you see a 19' red Lund Pro-V w/200hp Optimax from WS, stop over and we'll swap reports.

Hey Wizard, those that I already know and those that I do not yet know,

I also love to fish in the Morson area. I get up there in the Spring ( around Memorial wknd ) in mid July for a week and again in early October every year. This year I am also coming up in mid August as a bonus. I also fish in Nestor Falls once each Winter for Crappies and Lakers.

The area is hard to beat for catching fish and just being there. I fish mostly Walleyes and Crappies but occassionaly throw a Musky lure, for short periods of time. I want to start doing more trolling for Muskies during my October trip but always end up having plenty of fun catching Walleye's and Crappies and not getting to it. Could have worst problems.
As most of us seem to have the spots in Miles and Sabaskong Bays down, it would be interesting to share spots in the Little Traverse as we learn them. I tried some last Fall with some luck. How is this area in the Summer? Anyone? I will be up again July 17th through the 24th. I monitor channels 16 and 14. My marine band handle is " Eastwind".

Hello, Wizard and to all of those who yearn to know the "Woods" I too love to chat about fishing especially Muskies and smallies.

I will be heading up for a week at the end of June staying near Morson. My dad,grandfather and my oldest son. For their sake I will bite my lip and fish walleyes, but I want the Muskies.

So..... I will cut to the chase, Whats snapping during this time and what should I look for... for structure ( walleye) I assume jig and minnow. Oh yeh how about muskies for me and my soul. I am a caster, not too much trolling, This email is for everyone

Thanks in advance

Damon

[email protected]

Eastwind, don't overlook Lakers on Whitefish Bay. By mid-Aug. I vertical jig and downrig in water depth of at least 70' and perferably 100'+. My personal best vertical jigg'in in Aug. is a 35"er, and downrigg'in it's 11 in one day with the biggest being 32", 33" and 34"ers. Also keep an eye on the internet reports. Mid-Aug. can be trophy time on Big Traverse Bay, downrigg'in the flats with cranks. If you have a smaller boat, beware of ANY wind. 3 years ago me and a buddy got lucky and got a calm day. We made it to the south side of Garden Island (MN side)in a 17" Bass boat w/ Walleye downriggers. In 3 hrs. we boated 8 Walleyes over 22" including a 28 1/4"er and a 28 3/4"er.
I've fished 3 times on Crow Lake during winter for Lakers and never caught one over 25". I fish on Whitefish Bay all winter for Lakers and I swear to God, the avg. is 28".
Uramusky, Last year on June 18th + 19th, 2 of us pulled spinners w/Leeches and Crawlers in front of sandy shorelines. Zig-zag trolling in 12' - 18' during the day and 6' - 12' in the evening. Our total for the 2 days were: 92 Walleyes, with 27 of those being 15" - 22 1/2". You might want to give that method a try.
As far as Muskies go, you better get advice elsewhere. I havn't had much experience during this time.
I'm going up somewhere around the 15th with my younger brother, his wife and daughter. Any suggestions?
Good fish'in, Wizard

Wizard,

The problem with Whitefish Bay for me is getting there. The rollers scared me as my boat is not small ( not huge either) and I was worried that I would dent up the hull and/or tear off my electronics. I did go over once with the trolley set up but that **** thing broke down so much that it made me nervous about getting caught on the wrong side should it break down.

Now, about downrigging in Big Traverse. How far of a ride is it from Morson? Would you have any coordinates for the area that the down rigging is done in? I go to the Three Sisters for one day during my annual July trip each year. Where is the area that they downrig at from there. Or is it shorter to go over by a more northern route. Through Fish Narrows, for instance. Any info would be appreciated.

Wizard
We are heading up to our trailer around the 16th. Call me on ch. 14 "Baitmaker". Perhaps we can get together. We are at Mylies Place.
Dick Moore

Eastwind, when I first started using the portage, 5 years ago, it was the rollers and I was fishing out of a 17' Bass boat at the time. We clicked the transducer up, went slow and things were cool. I now have a 19' Lund Pro-V w/200 Optimax and I can't wait for the new rollers system they are apparently putting in, to be completed. That trolley system is a nightmare!
That day we caught the 2 pigs while downrigg'n on Big Traverse Bay, we had actually started about 2 miles out from the Three Sisters. we weren't having much luck and we kept seeing charter boats going by us traveling north. We finally decided to follow them for what turned out to be about 12 miles NNW to the south side of Garden Island (which seperates Big Traverse Bay from Little Traverse Bay). Moniter a marine-band radio and/or look for the gathering of boats to locate active schools of Walleyes.
Good Fish'in, Wizard

Hey guys! I used to live in the Morson area but I now reside in Baudette so I get up there whenever I can. I haven't fished musky for a few years now but there is quite a few places not too far out of Morson. My folks live up there yet so whenever I go ut its mainly for walleyes and maybe some smallies too. Might even try for the Morson Bass Classic which I think is in August sometime. As far as musky, I would try just about any weedbed and look for other guys throwing baits for musky so maybe you can try that spot later or another day. Sabaskong bay is good early in the season and then I might work my way up the Miles bay area. I wish I could hook you up with my cousin who is a guide up there cuz he told me that musky fishing is his 'bread and butter'. He told me that Sabaskosing bay is great but its a little further out and you have to pretty much plan a whole day to fish that area. I hope to get up there this weekend and drown a few minnows and maybe go pitch some tubes for smallies. Weather permitting is the main thing. I will be checking in throughout the weekend. have fun! Let'um go let'em grow! Brian

Hey wizard. Just wondering where your cabin is at? My dad is a cop up there and so he probably checked out your cabin over the winter. We do that once in a while just to for a snowmobile ride and just go check cabins. Anyways I seen that you mentioned that you have a cabin up there and was curious where you was at is all. Later Brian

With Garden Island being in the U.S., I have another question as think about it. If I am staying in Morson but are a U.S. citizen,can I cross over by water from Canada to Garden Island, and back, legally? I do possess a valid Minnesota fishing license.

Not too sure on that one but with all the border patrol running around and they are in the air also. I would check in with customs to find out for sure. I noticed you put the word " if " but going from Morson to Garden Island is quite a boat ride. Cuz there is a few places to fish along the way. I just can't see running way out there from Morson but to each his own. I don't think you can carry 2 limits of fish if you were to do so and head back to morson. I dont know if I helped any but thats the way I understand how it works. have fun fishing! Brian

One more note is that you can only have the ontario limit on hand so if the US limit is higher, which it is, I wouldnt risk it. I would find out and be safe than sorry. But then again I have wrong once or twice before in my lifetime. Good luck Brian

Hey Eastwind, I think you'd need a remote border pass to go back and forth between Canadian and US, or vice versa. Benelli Dude, I think I know your cousin and he does know where the muskie are.

benellidude2002, my cabin is in the bay just north of Taylor Bay.
eastwind, you do need a Remote Border Pass to cross the border anywhere except at Customs. You can get these passes at the Canadian Customs. They cost $35, last for 2 years and you can include your wife and minor childern. and yes you can't catch a Minnesota limit on the Minnesota side then take it across the border to the Canadian side. Like a warden once explained it to me, You must be within the limits of where you are. It is a long way from Morson To Garden Island, but if them pigs are on a tear, it's well worth it.
I'm going up next week. Any suggestions? I'll give a report when I get back.
Good Fish'in, Wizard

Thanks for the info everyone. The trip from Morson would be long, yes, but it would sure be a fun ride on the right day. This is one reason why I finally got an 18' boat with a full walk-thru and don't still use a tiller model. And, think of all the new spots I could try out on the way to and from Garden Island.
The issue of limits would be irrelevant to me. If I travel out to downrig in Big Traverse it will be for the opportunity to catch some good sized eyes and play around with the downrigging equipment. Everything would get released. By the time I return to my resort from a big trek like that, I will want to go straight to the cocktail hour and not to the fish cleaning house. No sense making this sport more work than it has to be, eh? I will check in to the remote border crossing permit.