Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass77

Fireline Line Twist

7 posts in this topic

I had some fireline improperly spooled on my spinning reels yesterday...is this something that I need to worry about...kind of new to fireline.

Hey Seabass, glad to hear your getting ready to start chasing fish on the open water. My experience with fireline is mostly with craink baits on spinning reels. It does not seem to have much memory and I have never really had any twisting problems with it in a lot of outings. Like you, I have been pretty frustrated with mono and tried lots of different models in stren and berkely. With mono the thing I have found to work the best is not to fill my spool very full, I lose casting distance due to this, but for some reason it seems to cut down on twists when rigging. Let me know if you want to get out and do a little fishing.

Is it just me, or does it seem like problems with line twist while spooling have gotten bigger in the last 5-10 years? It's to the point that I'm going to use all fireline this year to alleviate headaches and profuse swearing...

marine_man

I am sure you pros all know this but will say it anyway.
It is very important to fill a spinning reel with the filler
spool face down so the line comes off the spool the same
way it goes on the reel spool. Like someone else said,
test for twist after several turns. If there is some twist,
flip the supply spool to the other and mark it for the future.
Good luck,
Oldvike

Seabass yes we talked, at the landing that night. That was some good crappie fishing! I wish I could have a few more trips like that last winter.

Next year I will have to show you some hot spots on tonka for some crappies.