• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surf Rods?

Aquaman01

Question

I'm thinking about winding my own or buying a surf-rod for shore-fishing the Mississippi to get really long casts off - any thoughts or opinions?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

6 answers to this question

I've been thinking of using my old surf rod rig (from my days surf fishing in Delaware and MD) up on the N. shore for those long casts too - I've never seen anyone else try it either....tho I don't know why it wouldn't work. The only thing you'll have to watch for is having enough "launching pad" (shoreline w/ no obstructions) for casting a 10'rod. It's not something you can really stand still in one spot to do! And depending on where you're at - having all that line out will get to be a drag with it catching passing boats, floating debris, etc. I've noticed when you see those rods for sale out here they're really cheap tho - they must be manufacturers shipping snafus to arrive at these Midwestern retailers.....

The weight of your bait will determine what rod to use. If you go with a long rod stay away from the noodle actions if your using anything over 1/2 ounce. They dont have the backbone or weight to really burn a bait out there.
Experiment, find an old glass 9ft 8 weight fly rod and retie it with spinning guides and a long handled butt.
My favorite for shore fishing inland trout lakes. It launches a 5/8th oz slip sinker and a worm an easy 200 ft.

I have been primarily a shore fisherman most of my life. About 10 years ago I picked up a 10' surf rod at GM. I attached a large spinning reel loaded w/ 10# test. I wasn't going for huge fish, I just thought that the smaller dia. line on a larger reel would cast like a rocket. It did! I have only two surf rods now one that cost 30$ and I got one at spirit lake for 7$. It is nice to have a couple long rods when you need to cast far. I have used spiderwire fusion too and that casts really well. I imagine that stealth would cast far too.

Aquaman, send me a e-mail and we can discuss exactly what it is you are looking for. I have access to about 50 differant styles of surf blanks so I'm sure we can figure out something that would be suitable.

------------------
Jim Reed
www.countrykatfishing.com

Surf rods are great!I have a couple that have a slow action and can realy whip your bait out there.I am surprised that more shore people don't use them.Getting the right rod for the job is the trick like ST mentioned.You have to match the weight of what you will be casting to the rod.

You can go nuts and buy high dollar Shimano or Lamiglass Salty type Surf Rods, or get a great rod for $35 that will do the same, or better.

Take a look at the Berkley Re-Flex rods. Excellent quality and tough as heck. The extremely tough E-Glass blanks will handle anything you can hook up with on the rivers.

I would also recommend looking at the new Mitchell Full Runner Spinning reels. They offer quick change spools for super-braids that allow for no waisted line, and/or deep throttled spools made for heavy mono that may require 200+ yards of 20#-40# mono. I have a Fullrunner 7500 and man it is a serious piggy puller...Uf-Da!
FR7500.jpg
Full Runner feautre for lively bait movement.
4 stainless steel bearing drive for smooth performance.
Instant anti-reverse for instant hooksets.
Graphite spool with stainless steel lip.
Spare graphite spool with stainless steel lip.
Patented unique rotor design with external bait trip.
Die-cast aluminum crank handle.
Smooth, multi-disc felt/stainless drag.
20 lb/225 yds 4.9:1 24.7 oz
$130.95

ReFlex.jpg
ReFlex is constructed with super-strong E-glass for power, and is the only rod to use 3M™ Scotchlite™ reflective material under the guide wraps, reflecting up to 1500 times more light than white surfaces when viewed at night. Optical brighteners throughout the entire rod blank increase night visibility. With the Berkley ReFlex, you'll see every nibble, day or night, and have the power to pull da big fish in.

9' Medium Heavy 10-30#
MSRP* $38.00 (Odds are good you can get one for $35)

YUP-YUP..them Re-Flex rods do pull SUMO Piggys!
grin.gif
get_file.html?mid=15 Yup-Yup!

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 04-26-2003).]