• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund 1800 fisherman or Alumacraft Trophy 180

Question

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm doing a little research for Dad who recently retired. Both boats seem pretty nice. Has anyone had any bad luck with either? I don't think he could go wrong, but was looking for other opinions. What size trailer would you recommend?

4 answers to this question

I have got the lund myself and I love it. Never had a problem with it in the two yrs. I have owned it. When you get a trailer make sure to get one with brakes on it, its def. worth your while.

I just got a 1800 PROV IFS with a 175 Yam (about the same weight as the Fisherman)and it has a 3100# Shorelander with brakes. It's perfect and the brakes really help in towing, one tip if he gets brakes you need a five pin receptacle on your truck wiring. Most "normal" ones are four pin and without the fifth pin the brakes lock when you back up. Hard to get the boat in the water without backing up, there's a manual block but it's a huge pain to do manually. I'm biased but the "little things" in the Lund are pretty nice. Every year they really make some good common sense add ons. I'm sure the Alumacrafts are nice and those guys here will let you know. Enjoy shopping, it's a lot of fun.

You really can't go wrong w/ either. I like the Lund because it seems a little less "plastic" than the Alumacraft, but you may pay a little more for the Lund. I'd also make sure you buy at least a 140hp outboard, 65# thrust electic (w/ a 60" shaft) and a #3100 trailer w/ brakes. Overkill is nice on electric motors and trailers.

Blue Ribbon,
Crestliner makes a real nice boat also. I just purchased a Sportfish 1850 with a Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke. So far I'm very impressed. As said earlier, Go with a trailer with brakes. You won't be sorry.