• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help, Gas Smell!!!

tinski

Question

I bought a used 1999 17 ft. aluminum boat. There is a gas smell that is only in the dry storage compartments up front. I brought the boat to my local dealer who did a pressure check on the gas tank and also checked all of the seals and connections. He didn't find anything. My guess is that gas from an extra tank spilled on the carpet in the dry storage. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of the gas smell?

Thanks much,
Tinski

13 answers to this question

Hey Twitter, I agree with you. Once when my kid was in Bantams he was injured and we had to take him into be checked, and I had to go into the locker room to get his hockey bag. Let me just say there was about 14 open hockey bags in that room. It was so strong I had tears running down my face and almost passed out from the stench. I don't know how they could stand to be in that room long enough to get dressed. If febreeze works on a hockey bag gas smell would be a walk in the park grin.gif

yeah, i for one never understood how people couldnt enjoy the smell of hockey equipment. There's is nothing better than the mixture of hockey tape, leather and sweat.

------------------
"There are many stages to a man's life. In the first stage, he is young and eager, like a beaver. In the second stage, he wants to build things, like dams, and maybe chew down some trees. In the third stage, he feels trapped, and then "skinned." I'm not sure what the fourth stage is."

The smell of hockey is an aquired one. Being Canadian, it must be in my blood. I absolutely love it.

About the gas......don't have much to add. grin.gif

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

I make my own febreeze. Take a spray bottle and fill it 1/4 to 1/3 full of Downey, or whatever softner you use in the wash, (depending on how strong you want it) and fill the rest with water. I have been using this for a few years, ever since I got the hound....

I'd imagine your storage container is plastic lined... if this is true you'd need to use a water or citrus based product. If the smell is in the carpet, Febreeze would work well to neutralize the smell, but if it's into the plastic you might try something like Goo Gone that's citrus based. If it's metal you could use something heavier obviously. Whatever you use, I'd use a cleaner of some type, as anything else (like Febreeze) will only mask the smell, I'd even imagine that good old fashioned Dawn dishsoap and some hot water would help a ton. But I would address this as if there's still gas on the liner, it could transfer teh smell and damamge other things.

How did you know I had a princecraft? I like my princecraft quite a bit. It runs nice and I like how wide the boat is and the space it offers. Outside of the gas smell I've been very satisfied with it.