• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pardon Fees

I sent a packet of Border Crossing Permits to Thunder Bay. A couple of members in our group were denied becuase they had old DUI's. The Canadian official told the members they (Canada) could have done something to allow them entrance had they disclosed the DUI. Since they didn't disclose the DUI, they weren't allowed the flexibility.

I was told by others that there is a Pardon Fee that people can pay if they disclose the DUI's. The pardon fee is $1000.00 in Canadian funds. Has anyone ever heard any truth to that? Just curious before I call Canada and ask the question.

Chris, I am kind of in the same boat, my friends and I were thinking of applying for RABC permits but I have been reluctant because of an old DUI, if you learned anything about the process please post. Thanks, Ryan

Ryan-

I have crossed the border at Int'l Falls & Fort Frances hundrends of times. I used to live in MN, work in Fort and dated a gal in Fort. I never had customs ask for an ID when I crossed. If I was to do this over, I wouldn't have sent in the RABC's. I would have tried to cross the border at an entry point. They must realize that they are allowing many people with previous DUI's into Canada.

The problem I faced was in the interpretation of a "pardon". I understand a pardon in the States to be free of obligation to the governement. If you had a DUI and have paid all penalties and reinstatements, I believe you have been pardoned. In the States, if you want the record removed it is called "expungment". Candaian officials see pardons like we see expungments. The bottom line is that they set the rules and we must follow the rules. If you are making plans to go to Canada and want RABC's, I would call the office in Thunder Bay and make sure everyone is on the same page as far as expectations. I should have done that prior to submitting our applications. Good Luck!!