• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS units

walleyewizard

Question

After borrowing a friends handheld GPS and fishing Mille Lacs this past weekend, I'm convinced that I need one. I think I would prefer a handheld unit for ice fishing. I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on the different units. I'd like to stay in the $150-$250 range. Thanks! Walleyewizard

4 answers to this question

I've got the Magellan 315 and use it quite frequently. It saves plenty of waypoints and has a backtrack capability. I have a DC plug for vehicle use with a window suction mount.

It uses AA batteries and they last for about three to four hours so have spares if your going to be camping with it.

The display is easy easy to read and you can customize what screens you want to scroll through.

Also, one of the menus has a sunrise/sunset with fishing times listed for good and excellent. (The latter doesn't seem to work and it doesn't follow the calender from the NAFC).

Magellan has a 310 out now and may be cheaper but I am not familiar with its functions.

Check with your GPS dealer and play with them, that will be the only way to find out which one you really want. If were to buy another, I would spend a little more and get one that has major highways on it.

P.S. The Magellan 315 is water proof and FLOATS!!!

Have only used a large unit, eagle view, but would not be without it on the big lake, superior and michigan. If you have the room, is nice to see that big screen. As to used ones, if anyone thinks about that, be careful, i have seen some older units that are not as friendly as the new ones, was good advice to go to the dealer and play some with it at the store.

Both the Magellan 315 and the Garmin 12 are good handheld units. But depending on what options you would like, there are outher options. Lowrance is selling the Global Nav 100 without the CD and Data cables for under $200. Mapping is nice in some situations but is not necessary for everything, sometimes simpler is better. The lower priced units, Magellan 300, Blazer 12. Lack a plotter screen, so finding your positionin relation to icons or waypoints is not real easy. The Garmin E-Trex, is a compact unit but lacks in easy menu selection. E-Map is an inexpensive mapping unit but IS NOT waterproof.
Go to a dealer that has a good selection and the staff to answer your questions and look at the models you like.

Rob

I've had great results with my Garmin GPS12. I use it to get me in the general area, then use my locator to find my spot. It's a great investment.