• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

border crossing - birth certificate?

I will be making my first trip to Canada on June 21st. Heading to Vermillion Bay, Ontario. I have heard conflicting reports as to whether or not I need to bring my original birth certificate with me to cross into Canada. Does anyone here know for sure? Also, any U.S. grown produce that they will not allow to be carried over? Thanks.

www.ccra.gc.ca

The above link will get you into Canadian Customs information, including a pamphlet called "Customs Information for Visitors to Canada and Seasonal Residents". This pamphlet contains info about border crossing requirements, what you can and can't bring into Canada, etc. This document states "If you are a resident or citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport or visa to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, or naturalization certificate." Try the Automated Customs Information Service (ACIS) at (204) 983-3500 for more info or call Canadian Customs and ask them the passport question you have. Hope this help you out. A passport should be good enough (without the birth certificate), but if you have both, bring 'em. Good Luck!

My experience is that as long as you have a clean record a drivers license is all you should need. If you bring someone under the age of 18 you might think about bring a birth certificate.

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Thanks for the info. everyone. Very helpful. Like I said, this will be my first time fishing in Canada. What can I expect as far as fish behavior during this time of year? My party will primarily be going after walleyes with some muskie fishing as well. Hopefully, I will have the chance to fish for some smallies too. I would greatly appreciate some fishing tips. Thanks again!

A copy of your birth certificate is well advised. Not so much going in, but they do like to see it then too. On your return if your pulled off and run thought the big brother computer, it will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Getting that free Canadian Insurance card from your insurance provider is wise too. The Canadians see it as a act of respect more then anything, it will serve as a second ID too. They have always seen the insurance cards as a sign that you done your homework, it will speed you in.

Your local insurance man may go "DA--What's dat thing" when you ask about the Canadian prof of insurance card. But they do have them, many are too lazy to say they do so push it, and they will grant one to you free.

Another interesting note on going into Canada.
A group of us were going to fish Rainy Lake, and we needed an RABC(Remote Area Border Crossing) permit.
A guy in the group has a DWI, and they denied the permit to come into Canada.
I remember years ago, we got asked if anyone in the car had a DWI, and we all just kind of looked at each other, as to why they would ask that. Apparently it matters.

It used to be if you EVER had a DWI or ANY other offense considered a felony in Canada, no go.

Today it reads if you have had an offense deemed a felony in Canada in the last 10 years, it is a problem for entry. Some offenses may be handled with a series of forms, others will completely exclude you from entry.

If you talk them and they check, your in deep do-do Eh! Be straight with them.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

get_file.html?mid=172

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-10-2003).]

There's info on the Canadian Customs HSOforum about DWI. If it's within a certain time, you need to be "rehabilitated", via the proper paperwork but it may be at the discretion of the CCO when you get to the border. Look at Canadian Customs HSOforum for more info.

Fishing--from what I have seen, it has been an early year, aka the smallies started making beds in May so the fish are in their "later year"-summer patterns now, that's what I have heard anyway. Best of Luck.

Bring your drivers license, birth certificate in case for proof of citizenship, and if your bring your kids with, bring a signed letter from your wife, stating her ok.
I have been checked for birth certificate and a letter from the better half for the kid situation 2 times in the last 10 at the Falls crossing.
Take it with you, it does't take up to much space.

Thanks for the information everyone. Fortunately, my record is clean - so far wink.gif Just want to get some opinions on effective walleye presentations for this time of year. My tackle box is stocked with jigs of all colors and sizes, and I have some deep down husky jerks and countdowns. How should I attack them?

Thanks again. These forums have been very helpful.