• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing

How has the border crossing been, so far this year up in Int'Falls. I am heading up next Thurs. Any one know if they are doing more searches? Not that I have anything to hide, I just hate having to wait an extra 30 to 45 mins.

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

Crossed into Canada at International Falls on May 16th about 3AM. Not a problem. Asked a few questions and away we went. However, we were not towing a boat. Had some friends that were towing a trailer cross over about 6 hours earlier and they checked the trailer. Only took about 15 minutes.

The Spook

We just went through last week.

In many, many trips the past 2 years, this trip they really went through our records with a fine tooth comb.

They asked, we told, they double checked everything. They were pulling everyone in going into Canada. We were searched with a gun sniffing dog (trained for handguns) and they went through the rigs very carefully.

A- Be darn sure your rig is clean of any hunting or other firearm materials. Casings, spent shells, anything that a dog will pick up. Don't Even think on carrying in a personal handgun or anything else that resembles a weapon, that would be a very bad deal Eh!

B- When asked if you have had a conviction, tell the truth, they will find out if it has been in the last 10 years or not anyway. If the DWI or related offense was in the last 10 years, you may have further complications before you can enter, if at all. If you talk them and they catch it, your not going to have a very good day Eh.

C- No meat products can come back into the USA, nothing.......zip. The Manitoba conservation officers went through out boat coming back and checked our permits closely. Not bad at all coming back compared to going in.

D- Have 2 current forms of picture ID. It does not hurt to have a copy of your birth certificate, and/or a Passport. Proof of insurance is mandatory, you can also get a Canadian Card from your insurance man ahead of time, the Kanucks like that too by the way.

All the usual stuff applies, know before you go. The security is tighter then last year for sure. All the border guards are wearing full body armor on both sides of the border. So they are wired tight and doing their jobs.

Be respectful, and be prepared, all will go well if you do.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

get_file.html?mid=172

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-05-2003).]

Good info Backwater!

This also goes to show that there are some inconsistancies at the border. I cross every other weekend in the open water months, and several during winter and have not had a very intensive search. This is either at the Pembina (I-29) or Baudette (HWY 11) crossings. The questions are "different" sometimes, than in the past, but no record checks as of yet. Backwater's tips are true and accurate. Don't mess with Customs, either way, and you'll be much better off. Good luck, and enjoy your Canadian adventures.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Three weeks ago, I went through the same border checkpoint as Eddy & was hardly checked at all. Just the usual questions & we were quickly on our way. They didn't even check our ID's, which was a first & really surprised me. I expected a long wait, but rolled right through. My brother & uncle were right behind us & their ID's were checked. They were questioned a little harder too. Sounds like they randomly check every few vehicles, so be prepared. They didn't check our ID's on the way back into the U.S. either which was odd. I'd say prepare as much as possible, but more than likely you shouldn't have a problem. Just follow Eddy's suggestions. Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 06-06-2003).]

I just returned from a week in Canada, going through at Baudette. My brother had to go back and leave his potatoes on the US side. They said there is some blight, so no fresh potatoes. Crossing over and back was a breeze. I spoke to a Canadian resident that crosses often. He said they have a lot of new people working at the border now due to the increased security.

We crossed into Canada last Saturday at Pembina. The same questions as usual, picture drivers license, pay the duty on 16 cases of beer and on our way. Total time was 25 minutes.

Crossed into the U.S. yesterday. Same questions as usual plus howdid we know each other. Two border guards looked in the back of the van and looked through some of the bags, but questioned why we had two boxes taped shut. "Because throwing them on a float plane they need to be taped." Total time 20 minutes.

Don't get lippy and have everything in your vehicle in order.

I never heard of getting a Canadian insurance card before. But it's easy to get. I just called my agent way down here in little old Crete, Nebraska and she knew right away what I was talking about. I also didn't know about having my wife sign a consent letter. Good no-cost advise.

Hey Finns "16 cases of beer" is that all LOL.

I have heard from a couple of sources that you can't bring in potatoes. There is some kind of blight they are worried about spreading. Planning to buy some up der.
We are leaving on Sunday am for the english river at Grassy Narrows. I can't wait.

------------------
Ret-ro!! :)

tjsker

Consent letters are another deal, and an important one.

Shared custody of children, very critical to get consent forms before you leave the country.

This extra scrutiny on our minor children is meant to protect children from #$%% bastards who pray on our kids. So that hassle is just fine with me Eh.

If you and your "X" are not on the best of terms, be EXTRA wise/careful.

Get his/her written and certified consent stating when you are to leave and return. PLUS get permission from the court that has jurisdiction of your joint custody case.

Why...If he/she (da-X) would say you did not have it, your in jail, and in seriously deep [PoorWordUsage].

Travel safe, travel smart!

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 06-12-2003).]

Backwater Eddy

I would think consent letters are needed for divorced or separated parents, but are they needed for a happily married couple like me and my wife?

Thanks, tjsker

True, happy to hear that all is well for you and you wife and the 47 percent who would not need to worry about this hassle.

Unfortunately for the other 53 percent of our society it is a helpful tip for planning ahead.

A very necessary legal procedure for travel with a noncustodial minor child abroad.

Hey guys,

Just a tip so everyone can learn from my bad experience. I just got back from a fishing trip with myself and two friends, we WERE going to fish the NW Angle. In order to get there you have to cross the Canada border to get back into MN. We heard the same old questions until the customs agent asked "if anyone has been finger printed?" Two of us haven't but my friend got busted (unknowingly to me) for shop lifting (misdemeanor) 12 years ago when he was 18. He told the truth and told him he had and they took all our id's and went inside the office. After sitting there for an hour he came back out and told us we couldn't cross the border (this was the Warroad border crossing). He said we could drive another 120 miles into North Dakota to a US Immigration office and pay $200 for a "Rehabilitation Permit." If he had that he said we could cross into Canada but w/o that it was "no go." We declined to drive another 4 hours and just fished the south side of Lake of the Woods and did fine. I read the paper work they gave my friend and if your arrested for any kind of theft you can't go into Canada for five years, after that you can apply for the Rehabilitation permit. The customs agent told us it's a 10 year waiting period if you got a DWI and after the 10 years you can cross with the Rehabilitation permit. So my advice is to plan ahead and apply for that permit if your past the grace period. If your not, and your caught, they won't let you cross. We told the truth and they didn't let us go so your better off lieing, even if you get caught, your still not going but at least you have a chance. One other FYI, they won't let you take firewood either so there's no sense bringing it. I guess the MN tree's have diseases that the Canada tree's don't. smile.gif

It was great up there but going into canada sucked. They made us walk all of our potatoes over the bridge back into the US side. otherwise nothing new to getting across and back they didnt even look at ids which i thought was weird. Oh well had fun.

FI

Just wait tell that legalized pot deal go's through in Canada.

Then see how much fun it will be at the border.

The US border guards are going to have a field day then!

The Birth Certificate MUST be an original or a duplicate with the county/state seal on it.

As far as the Potatoes goes, I don't know where FI Guide crosses but there is a sign on the US side of the Baudette/Rainy River Bridge that says "NO USA POTATOES". I was told by someone who asked, third hand, NO POTATOES means all potatoes even hashbrowns. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call Customs and find out exactly.

One more thought on the Border Crossing. I think we are getting a little hard on the Canadian Customs/Government. Sure they do things different than us at times, but that is their choice. I'm sure there are issues with US Costoms from Canadians crossing into the USA. Just remember, It could be worse.

Well, I just went through on last Thurs & this past Tues and I had no problem. They did not ask for any form of ID at all.....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

I spoke to my brother in law who is the Capt for the Falls PD. He said this is the first time in 20 plus years that Falls Police don't have to direct the line of traffic into Canada through the Falls. That's good and bad. Good because your waiting time is much shorter but it also gives the Candaian officials more time to use discretion on which vehicles to pick apart.

BW Eddy speaks the truth about trying to talk the officials. We tried getting RABC's from Canada and some of the guys who applied have DUI's from 5 or more years. They found them and denied us.

There is some issue concerning "blight" on US Potatos that they are trying to keep out of Canada, that's the reason for the no taters policy.

As far as our trip (just returned Saturday June 21), we went into Canada at 8 AM-ish on 6/14, answered the where you from, where you going, how long you staying and do you have meat or vegetables-questions and went right into Canada. Returning, we were asked "Citizenship?" I said United States of America. We were asked where we had been, where we were going in the states, if we had fish from Canada and that was it, we were also there at 8 AM -ish. No problem getting through. Having some kind of offense on your record makes things real difficult. Do as much planning ahead as you can, call the Canadian Customs agents and get as much info as you can so you don't get surprised at the Border. Best of Luck.