• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lifetime licence for 1500# trailers:

dlskills

Question

15 answers to this question

I believe you don't have a choice. I have two trailers and the licence just came in the mail for both of them. No need to make a deciscion,from what I understand, the State does it for you.

Gentlemen,

Leechlake IS correct in that there is NO choices regarding current & future licensing of trailers. It is a "one-time" cost for the life of the trailer ownership. I have 2 trailers and both are the same charge of $25 tax with 4.50 filing fees each. One is a #1500 GWB and the other is a 3000GWB so size, apparently regarding these 2 weights anyway, makes no difference.
$29.50 ea. for life of both.

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 04-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 04-20-2003).]

I've got one coming up for renewal also. Is it true you don't need the plate anymore?? just the sticker on the tongue?? I saw a utility trailer in a parking lot the other day with a sticker on the plate that said perm reg with no year. What's up with that?

I was given the lifetime sticker for a recently-purchased utility trailer and told to take off the existing plate. Only additional information I was given was to make sure I filled out the proper transfer form if I ever sold the trailer so that the new owner would have the lifetime exemption. I had to pay a transfer fee plust he sticker price for a total of about $50.

Here is the correct information regarding the trailer license regulations:

Attention Trailer Owners...

* New Legislation Effective July 1, 2001, requires all non-recreational trailers registered at 3000 pounds or less to have permanent registration by 2005.

* Save $9.50 by going to permanent registration at this time. Just pay the amount shown on your renewal notice

* Opt to renew for one more two-year period by submitting a payment of $14.50 instead of the total shown on your renewal notice. Permanent registration will be issued at the next renewal time and will cost $24.50.

I got this information directly from the Dept. of Public Safety HSOforum.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/dvs/Registration%20Guide/Guide%20Frame.htm

Now it says non-recreational trailers but our boat trailer had the same regulation. Yes you do only get a sticker for the tounge and you pitch the plate.

I hope this information has helped.

-------------

Fishn'Lady

I bought a lifetime license last year and I got a sticker for a license plate at that time. They just sent me a new sticker with instructions to take off the existing license plate. The only thing I can think of is that they are doing this to make sure a person does not license one trailer and keep switching plates. My uncle is a cop and just shakes his head when we talk about it. It is a hard one to figure out. If you are a delinquint trying to hide from the law, it is probably your best idea to put on the trailer when you drive around because then the cops can't run your plates. What are they thinking?

I had the lifetime liscene for mine last year; before it was made mandatory. I got the new tounge sticker in the mail, and put it on; but left the exsisting plate with the old perm sticker on it as well. One can never be too safe. There are two little stickers, seperate from the tounge sticker on the same sheet. Anyone know where those go?

Crawler,

I put one on the old License Plate over my old yearly Blue tag and the other one I put on my forehead grin.gif

------------------
Chells