• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout @Kishintenka, HELP!, HELP!

Im going Muskie fishing and there's lake trout. We got 3 guys in rub-a-dub tub boat. It's a fly in so space is limited. Could use some advice on tips and tactics. Heard rumors there deep. We'll be there end of june! HELP me PLEASE!! I'M so alone!!

------------------
trout or pike flies!
Just drop a mail to:
[email protected]
And good luck out there!

Saint Mark,

Not sure exactly where you are heading or when, but your knowledge of lakers thus far is correct. They are deep, especially after mid June (depending on where you'll be) I use the same rod I use for muskie as I do lake trout. Jigging with 3 or 4 oz. jigs in common. Catching 12-25 # lakers is common, you will want a rod with some spine. That should help as far as space, anyways...

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

thanks Hemlock, we are going at the end of June. We're staying at a camp just outside of Nestor Falls on LOTW, and plan on flying into a lake that is about a 10 min flight away. I got the rods with the spines with these in hand I ain't even afraid of a bear. I suppose that a jig that big is to get down to 20 - 40 ft. What type of bait would you suggest?? something like Berkley Power Baits or freez dried minnows. Live minnows are too hard to carry in your pockets. any specific color?? We are there for three days, and one meal is supposed to be FISH, OUCH. Now you can see the trouble. Muskies ain't good eats.
Thanx StM

------------------
Need trout or pike flies!
[email protected]
And good luck out there!

Saintmark,

You should be ok then. Lures, something big, shiney, check with the locals/guides on specifics. Berkley Tube Jigs are great in the winter. I don't do a whole lot of jigging in the summer, but that's probably what I'd try.

As far as eating. Trout are great "grilled" skin down over a fire, or grill depending on what you've got access too. Just spice it up, maybe a little butter and let it cook over medium/high heat and eat once it starts to flake off with a fork, you are ready to enjoy. Smallies and walleye are always good in the pan too! Good luck, have fun.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"