• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout, walleye, pike tactics, your favorites

Sad to say that my ice fishing season has officially closed, so on to open water.

If ya would, what are some of your favorite tactics for Lake trout, do you troll, soak dead bait on the bottom? What lures are your favorites for mid-June?

Walleyes--trolling tactics, lures used
Pike--lures used

Unfortunately, I only have a few Canada trips under my belt and have been struggling to put fish in the boat. Any of your expert info would be greatly appreciated!

Here's hoping that your fishing is all you dreamed of and more!! Best of Luck!

Good idea. I like to share, as long as nobody ends up on "my spots" using "my techniques", catching "my fish" smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Walleye: They are interesting in my honey hole. They can be caught using different techniques, such as mepps spinners running just under the surface after supper in the summer. Other than that, jig and minnow, or bottom bouncer for typical LOTW walleye.

Trout: I troll using a whole lot of shine. Spring is best when they are shallow. I am 100% opposed to shore fishing, soaking bait on the bottom for the sole reason that you can not release these fish. Bomb down deep for them in the summer using a heavy, flashy jig.

Pike: Casting big muskie baits off of the rocky and weedy drop offs. Many times big gators will come up and take a look at a 1-4 pounder being caught. I caught a 16 #er this way.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hi,
I'm a fishing guide in Northern Ontario and have a few thoughts for you.
Lake trout can be tricky. In June it depends where you are fishing. I guess how long the ice has been off the lake is more important.
In early spring we troll for them. Usually in 8 - 15 feet of water. After ice-off they will be in the shallows. Troll rocky points, sunken islands, and where springs or streams enter the lake. As you get further into spring and the water warms, their gonna move deeper. (Note that the really big hawgs will always be in deeper water and is best to fish for them with down-riggers) I don't have a whole lot of experience down-rigging, but have had a lot of success trolling original rapalas, husky jerks, jointed-raps of all colours. mepps spinners, smaller williams wobblers, and little cleo spoons.
For walleye, it also depends where and when your fishing. in early season (post spawn), you will find them at or near spawning grounds. typically rocky bottom, and if availlable slow to medium current. It's best to jig for them at this time because they will be tight to the bottom. If it's later season (mid summer)they will head off the bottom, not group as much, and suspend in the thermoclines. it's best to troll for them then. I reccommend Hot'n'tot's they're great little lures. Also, reef runners are good for big females. I've also had a lot of success with wally divers, and wally minnows. Perch, silver and black, chartreuse and silver, purple, are all good colours.
Northerns will typically hit anything that moves, when they're feeding. In spring, you'll find them in the shallows 1-2 feet. in dead bull rushes (spawning grounds) the big females will take off to deeper water soon after spawn to recover, but males will hang around to defend nests for quite some time. they are very aggressive this time of year. weedless baits are always good, and pitching surface baits along the edges of the bull rushes can be a ton of fun.
As things warm up, they will typicall move to sunken weedbeds as they get established. I prefer larger baits when pike are active. Large light-weight spoons (salmon spoons), large crank-baits (believer, suick, oversized rapalas).
Fish in 6-10 feet of water, and cover a lot of ground. If you don't get a hit or a follow up quickly, change baits or change location. Northerns are also affected greatly by weather. If a cold front comes through, they'll typically shut down. They will be most active in the afternoon as the day warms. Evening fishing can be good too, when the water is calm, and you use surface baits. Northerns will also go mad just before a thunderstorm. Not the safest fishing, but definitely the most exciting.
Remember the best way to get on the fish is to ask the localls. Most people will let you know what baits are working at the time, and where to find the fish.
good-luck

Thank you both. Hemlock--hoohoohaahaa, I'm sittin' in your spot and I'ma catchin' all YOUR fish!! Shoulda left off the "LOTW" DOH!
I'm KIDDING!! I'm a big respect-head and would never horn in on other people's stuff. Thank you for sharing. Basically, I'm just looking for general information.

Fastwater--What is your tackle set-up of choice, rather than down-riggering? Do you run dipsey's or similar in-line divers?
Also, what about in-line planers? Seems like it would be a good idea to get the bait out of the prop-wash when trolling to hone in on the fish that spook wide after the boat gets close to them? Again, I am looking at IN-LINE applications, any rod/reel combo ideas? I have a tiny bit of experience from Lake Michigan fishing but I was only 8 at the time and I'd like to refresh my feeble brain!
Thanks again, good luck to all!

TROLL, TROLL, TROLL. The bigger fish always come trolling(for trout). I use a 8' medium rod and troll with wire on a 3 way system. I use spoons, #18 rapalas or other long minnow baits. When using wire modify your tip with a roller tip and a 5500-6500 bait caster will do fine with a leather strap over the spool so your thumbs not getting all cut up from the wire while letting line out or bringing in fish.

Hemlock,
I must confess that my first trips (2) to LOTW were made 3 weeks ago and last week, in combo with Red Lake for crappies. Don't think we did any damage to the walleye population, the biggest we got was around 15" and most were 8-10", no hawgs. Couple nice 'pout though! Your spot is safe from me!
WallEYES--Have any idea how deep the wire is running? I probably won't do a conversion to wire this year as I am boat-disadvantaged (ain't go no..) and money-deficient to afford converting a rig to wire. We will be up at Eagle Lake, Vermilion Bay Lodge, ON the 14th-21st of June. There is a small lake, I believe called "clearwater", accessible through a small creek. We got one trout longlining a 3" shad rap, natural off a point and that was it. I'm trying to up our odds on the trout so I am getting some expert info from ya'll. Thanks again for the help!

Good Luck.