• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Albany River Watershed?

Anyone had any experience in this neck of the woods? Will be staying with Liddles Adventures @ Miminiska Lake, and am wondering what if anything people have to say about it. Walleye, Gators, & 3-6 Brookies in the river? Sounds too good to be true. Thanks for any info or advice.

I don't want you to think this is biased, because I worked at Liddle's before. I saw your message last week, and had to reply.
The fishing is awesome. what time of year are you going?
trout is best in early spring. the river stretch below Mim falls is good, also above snake falls. I've seen many trout over four pounds.
Walleye are pretty much non stop all year long. the walleye mine is probably one of the most consistent producers. Also try at the base of mim falls, in the current, many big females are caught there. At night, fish at the cut to curry bay, or at twin falls, and in Ferguson creek. Tons of walleyes there.
Northern fishing is best on the north shore of curry bay, and out on the west arm of the lake. There are a lot of sunken weedbeds around too.
You'll get a lake map when you get there, ask to have these spots highlighted.
The liddle's run a tight ship, I'm sure you'll have a blast. They really cater to guest service, everything will be taken care of for you.
Have a great trip to Canada!
cheers.

fastwaterfreddie,
Thanks for your reply, I was starting to think no one on this board had any idea what I was talking about. We are going to be at Miminiska 07/17 - 07/24. I'm taking a couple of rookies to Canada ... I think they'll be impressed! One question I have for you: Do you suggest a guide? I know the Brookie fishing, as well as the other lakes require a guide, but what about the main pond? Can we locate the fish ourselves with lake maps? I'm chasing walleyes all over Chequamegon Bay (Lake Superior), as well as inland Hayward, WI lakes all year, so not being cocky, but I feel pretty comfortable. Is it a definite plus (like some Canadian lakes), or is it pretty simple due to the remote location? Also, I've recently gotten back in to fly-fishing after a 15 year absence; are the trout willing and able to take a fly, or would a guy have more luck w/spinning gear? Feel free to contact me direct, I would love to pick your brain some before we leave if you don't mind.

[email protected]

FWF,
One other question for you: Is there a suspended dusk/night bite for big Female eye's @ Miminiska? A little trolling after supper won't bother me at all. Looking for that magical 30" still. Will this lake have a chance of producing such a fish? Thanks for all your help!

A guide is definitly not a neccessity, and since you are at Mim for a week you'll definitely have lots of time to land a lot of fish. What's nice about a guide, even for one day, is that he can quickly put you on the fish, where it may take you and your friends several days to locate the exact honeyholes. I reccommend one if you're a new guest because Miminiska Lake has a lot of acres to cover. You can hire one guide for your group, and the other guys can follow your boat around. It's also nice to find out exactly what techniques are working at the time. I think for the cost ($100US), it is well worth it.
I see you'll be in at the end of July. I reccomend that you bring jigging and trolling tackle with you. The water level fluctuates quite a bit on the Albany System, and this causes the fish to behave quite differently.
I reccomend lots of 3/8oz jig heads (all colours work), with 3-4" twister tails (white is best, yellow, orange, brown, black). Also, for trolling try and pick up some Hot'n'Tot's. They're made by storm lures (perch, chartruse and silver, black and silver, purple, are all excellent). Reef Runner lures, Rapala's, and wally diver's and wally minnows also work well. If you have trouble locating lures, the lodge does sell them.
You definitely can troll for hawgs after dinner. Evening fishing often is really good. The biggest walleye I saw was 28 inches, but there are several caught around 32 each year.
As for brook trout, and fly-fishing, there are possibilities. You have to keep in mind that the Albany River has really large flow, and fly-fishing the main channel is not ideal. you will have better success with spinning equipment, and small spoons as tackle (little cleos 2/5 oz). There are smaller rivers that dump into Miminiska Lake, that have awesome brook trout fishing, and you can fly-fish along them. I reccomend bringing along a spinning rod though because the banks tend to be pretty tight with vegetation, and guys have had difficulty in the past.
Another thing to consider with brookies is that they tend not to like warmer water (above 68 degrees F), and become more difficult to locate, and catch when the temp goes above this. It will be iffy by the end of July, I guess it'll depend on how hot of a summer it is up there. If the water is warm, you will have to find where springs flow into the rivers (guides can point them out), these springs have very cold water, and the brookies will school up around them.
Another thought, you can fly fish for northern pike. Some guys do it and they say it's a whole lot of fun. I don't have a lot of experience fly-fishing so I don't have a lot of advice. I do know they like to use heavier stuff (9 weight rods) and big streamers as flies. The lodge will have a demo rod you can take out to try.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need any more info.
FWF.

FWF,
Thanks a million for your input ... it's sure to help. Tackle box is full of the cranks you suggested, as well as jigs & plastics (pretty much the same stuff used on Chequamegan Bay). It sounds like the thing to do is get a guide for the first day or so, then go at it ourselves. Have a great summer, and thanks again!