• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

O/B water pumps

Hemlock

Question

I read a lot of posts where people recommend to replace water pumps on outboards. I'm wondering if it ain't broke, don't fix it type of thing. As long as they are squirting water out the right hole, then it's all good, yes? Feel free to set me straight.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

7 answers to this question

If you spend a lot of time on the water, preventitive maitinence beats crapping out on the water. I fish quite a bit, and do my homework on my rig. Fishing time is not the time to be cussing the boat for something you didn't do.

It's just an inexpensive rubber impeller and easy to change. What happens is that you pull sand through the impeller and it slowly wears out and doesn't pump enough water and then your engine will run too hot. I want to say it was only $5.00 lat time I bought one for a Mariner.

PoleBender

That is a good question. If it works, it does work. Although the older it gets, the more likely that it may not work sometime. I would use your conscious as a guide. If its age makes you wonder, maybe peace of mind is worth the effort to change it. If it is in a heated garage in january, no brainer! Wish i had one. Good Luck!

Thanks guys. I do spend a lot of time on the water, motors (kickers) probably get close to a thousand hours or more in a summer. (on an island, boats are used every day of open water) Water pumps have never failed and some motors are pushing 20 years old. However, running in clean deep water, I guess that is what keeps them working. I'm glad I asked the question and maybe I'll put new ones in.

On another note, what would people think about a tech page? Seems like people are always posting "how-to" messages, from lower unit oil changes, water pumps, auger tweeking,vexilar repair, etc...just a thought.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Thanks CD, that really clarifies things and makes me think that I will replace them all. Anyone feel like posting, or emailing me basic directions on how to change them? Evinrude's 8, 20, and 115 HP and Mercury 15, all two strokes for whatever that's worth ....Thanks. [email protected]

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

Hemlock,
I too had that belief if it works, don't fix it. Water pump impellers are rubber and over time they gain memory from pumping water constantly. Memory basically means that the "paddles" that paddle/pump the water bent or have a natural curve.
My Honda 15 is a kicker and a motor on my 14' boat. I just had the water pump impellor changed cause the motor had seal leaks. That impeller was so bent out of wack, that the mechanic said that the motor was not going to get any cooling pressure at idle (if I could only add up the idle hours a year!). That means the engine was running too hot, even though there was a pee stream. These engines need lots of pressure at idleing for cooling.
They recommend replacing the impeller every two years under normal use to be on the safe side.

I just replaced my impellar last weekend and it was a piece of cake. I know nothing about motors so my father in law helped me and it was really quite simple. It was a matter of taking the lower unit off, removing the plate over the pump and putting the new one in. One thing, be careful not to lose the cotter key for the pump. By the it was on a 75 merc and the part cost 20 bucks.

Slab