• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Atikokan Lake Trout

stormy,
Have fished eva in years past but havnt been able to find the time this year with a new little guy in the family. Always stay at the white otter inn and drive down, then sled out from the access. A few guys tried Nym last year but never heard if they did any good, looks like alot of good structure. Always had ok luck on eva, good average size but seemed to be more and more folks out there each year. Did get one 12# a few years ago. The group i usualy go with went to Clearwater/white otter this year and did good from what i heard.

Xplorer

Xplorer, thanks for the info. Sounds like you've had similar luck on eva as we have. they are some beautiful fish, and very dark in color. The last time we fished Nym we did alright, I caught an 11# and we caught a couple others in the 5# range, but we were geting around the lake by skis so we wern't able to cover too much ground. We've always talked about fishing Clearwater and White Otter but never have yet. A couple years ago, just before we headed up there, there was a picture in the Virgina paper of a 30 some pounder caught out of White Otter. We are heading to Atikokan in a couple weeks, and maybe this year I can get the guys to make the trip in there.

stormy,
Yup, those lakers in Eva are very dark. When i showed pictures of the 12# to a couple friends they both thought I had caught the mother of all brook trout smile.gif
There are so many laker lakes up there a person could try. A few years ago in the local paper there was a picture of a 34#er that had come out of Sanford lake which is just a bit SE of white otter I believe. Could not imagine tangling with one that size thru the ice. I think the article said that they had to drill a second hole and chisel out the middle to get it out!!
Good luck up there, I was hoping to make one trip up there in March, but it will end up being a last minute deal if at all.
Xplorer

PS: Let me know how you do on Musquash, I have freinds that hit it almost every opener and do well on smaller splake. Most consistent bait fo them is small pimples and a salted/frozen minnow or minnowhead.

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 02-19-2003).]

Stormy, if I could get ahold of you I could let you know about another Lake Trout Lake near Atikokan. I used to fish that whole area a lot a few years ago. Have just started to fish it again. In fact going to be there this coming week to fish a couple lakes. wink.gif outdoorminnesota

Xplorer & outdoorminnesota
Sorry about the late reply. Fishing was OK, but not as well as years past. On Sat. (Mar 1) we caught 6 fish beween 4 guys. They ranged from 4 to 8#, most of which were before noon. Soon after, a front moved through and it got **** windy and cold. On Sunday we fished for 4 hours in the morning before heading home. I think that cold front just totaly shut them down.

Even so, we still caught enough to keep us happy, and we had a good time at the Steep Rock!!

Anyways, outdoorminnesota, I'd surely like to get ahold of you and trade ideas/spots. my E-mail is sstor849@yahoo

stormy,
A friend is going to Eva this weekend, i try to give you a report when he gets back. outdoorminnesota, i would be interested in other options in that area also as its always fun to Xplore new lakes. Hope you had good luck and stayed warm if you were up last weekend!!
Xplorer