• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winnipeg free press-anyone read?

I was told today by a guy from so. of winnipeg, that he read a story of a 25lb walleye cought recently mentioned in the free press, is he pullin my leg? not that I doubt they exsist, but to actualy see a pic would be very interesting. any MBans read this?

There was reference to a 25# walleye being caught, unfortunelty caught in a net. Goes on to say that it was released(???) I know that there are some big ones in the Red River, but never heard of anything near that size

I am from Manitoba originally, and still have family up there. I'm heading north this weekend, and I can ask for the newspaper. Any idea what days paper it was in?

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

The Winnipeg Free Press has a web site but you have to be a subscriber to access the archives etc. The Free Press carried two stories regarding this native fisherman. The first was on Monday Jan 20. The second was on Thurs Jan 23.

yup checked out what i could without putting out cash, on the web site. I do recall the guy mentioning the nets, I musta thought it was in a different conversation with him.
25" sounds more realistic. thanks northern blue!

I read the article and saw the picture. I believe 25 lbs was a misprint. I believe they meant 25 inches. The article was about a native fisherman who sets gill nets in the river. This has gotten a lot of local sport fisherman very unhappy and the newspaper got a hold of the story. The native, Jack Stevenson, says he released the walleye along with a sturgeon back into the river as the walleye was breeding stock. It was extremely cold that day and anyone that saw the picture of that fish could tell that it was frozen solid.