Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crawlerman

Estimate-- replacing seals on lower unit?

6 posts in this topic

Hey all.. Last year when we drained the oil from the lower unit of my outboard we noticed that it had gotten some water in it and was discolored. (though it still ran fine) I remebered when I changed the prop last year I had found a buch of fishing line wound around the shaft, and my Grandpa seems to think that is what weakend the seal. But I am a little short on Cash right now.. so I was wondering how big of an issue this is, (as if should be done ASAP, can wait, etc..) and around how much it would cost to get them replaced?

I don't know what kind of motor you have, but
I had the same problem with my Honda 15hp. Just got it back from the mechanic. It came to $120 for all the parts (prop seals, shifter seal, new water pump assembly) and labor. The shifter seal is not normally replaced, but I had it done anyway cause it was worn out.

Just the prop shaft seals should be a relatively easy fix, and always change the water pump as long as your working on it.

I did not want to do it myself. It can be tricky without the proper tools.

Crawlerman

I have a mid-80's vintage Evinrude 30hp.

Had the same thing happen to me - except in my case I found grease on the floor of my shed during winter storage.

Took it in to the local dealer - cost me about $100 - all three seals and (spark) plugs to boot - I had placed a yellow sticky on the powerhead last fall - reminding me to put plugs in this spring - they found the note and did it for me. smile.gif

UG

Just had some similar work done and then some, bill came to just under $140.00.

------------------
First Choice Guide Service
The Cass Lake Chain
no_spam.com
Phone: (612)730-no_spam

If you have never replaced a seal I would reccomend taking it to a shop. Yes they are easy to put on if you know how to do it. But it is just as easy to wreck it. Any cut in it or misalignment you will have done the work for nothing. And most important DONT ding up the shaft by getting bucky with a chiesel trying to get it off or you will have more problems then the seal. If you have a mechanical friend that could help guide you go for it.
If you have a regular shop you go to maybe be able to work out a deal to make a couple of payments. Sooner the better to get it fixed you need to keep the water out of your unit which thins the grease and could wear the gears costing more money.

Go to the library and get a repair manual for you're motor, there are several published and will be found in most larger libraries. Just the output seal replacement is most likely a relatively easy job, I'm doing it on my Force 120, the seal itself is just a few dollars. The outer part is visible after the prop and prop spacer is removed, and is a metal ring surrounding the shaft and imbedded into the output hub. Most are pressed into the hub and can be removed with a very small chisel and a hammer. But I caution you, get the manual and read how to remove and reinstall it first, especially if you haven't done much work like it before!