• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Advice

Question

We will be selling our canoe and buying our first boat. I am looking at an Alumacraft jon boat as we fish primarliy the rivers. My question is am I better off with a 12 ft. model or 14ft. model. Any input you could share with us would be appreciated or if you know of anyone that has a jon boat for sale I'd be interested in contacting them. Thanks very much.
We can be contacted at
[email protected]

7 answers to this question

I would say that bigger is better as a general rule. I grew up in a 12' "pram" my dad called it, must have been the model or something. We caught more fish out of that boat. Dad would row out and i would cast as we went. Just one rod, and i would see a good spot coming up for another lure, but would often not have it tied on before we were past that spot and put back on the other lure. I learned to tie knots quicker, and come to think of it, my dad was a little thinner in those days, lots of paddling. You are very lucky, as every boat that you get will be better than the last, and you'll always be happy. Good luck, and welcome aboard!

14' is my vote.
It doesn't take long to fill a boat with gear,coolers, life jackets,snacks and "junk". If your son is young you will bring alot of stuff just to entertain him!

Enjoy your time with him,motors and girls will be after him soon enough and you won't be able to compete with that.
Have a great time!! smile.gif

I have had a 12 foot and now have a 14 footer. The 12 is nice in tight spots such as duck-hunting or going thru shallow narrows on the rivers. But, the 14 will do the same and allows you more stability comfort and roominess! smile.gif

Go 14' and Have FUN! grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"