• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Length, Action, Lure Wt.

Lip RIPPER!

Question

3 answers to this question

Matching the line to the rod to the presentation is the key. If you are using a superline or leadcore you better have some forgiveness in your rod. If you are using mono you can get away with a stiffer rod as the line will be your shock absorber.

I like to use superlines for pulling 3 ways because the drag from the weight will strecth almost any other line to much.

I prefer linecounter reels on all my trolling setups. Again, for trolling the longer the rod the better.

You want to try to avoid using a stiff rod, with a fast tip and superline. That is a tough combo to fish!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I'm a fan of fast tips and using the lightest equipment that will effectively handle the job. That being said, two of the three options you mentioned call for heavier/slower gear than I typically prefer.
Bottom-bouncer and spinner- 6'6" med. light spinning rod with a relatively fast tip, but not super fast (I save the really fast ones for jigging and lindy rigging).
Lead core- 7' medium/medium-heavy baitcaster with a moderately slow tip.
Cranks with superline- 6'6" to 7'6" medium baitcaster with a moderately slow blank.
Scoot

Hi Lipripper,

I would recommend a baitcast rod and reel combo. Depending what you want to spend is a big part of what will be available to you.

I am currently using a St.Croix Avid series rod that is designed for Steelhead fishing. It is a 8' rod that is rated for weights up to 3oz.

I was turned onto this rod by a St.Croix rep last year at the Sportsman show. I used it alot last season, and absolutely love it. The reason it is soooo good is the stiffer backbone, but yet has a fast tip for some give. The stiffer backbone allows for long hours of fishing with 3oz rudder cudder or BB sinkers without wearing my arm out like other baitcasting rods I have used in the past.

I would highly recommend looking into this rod for trolling cranks and BB/spinners. You will not be disappointed.