• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SUV Advice

Seabass77

Question

I am looking at buying a used SUV or maybe a truck, but I'm not quite sure what to buy. My price range is 10 - 12k. I really like toyota 4runners but anything in my budget has hight miles, some people I talk to say that toyotas last forever and that a toyota with hight miles is better than american with mid range.

What do you guys drive? What are your suggestions? Any advice is appreciated.

19 answers to this question

I saw a '99 Durango for sale on I94 east of Albertville for $9900.00

I like the Durangos. Power, speed, versatility and they fit in the garage.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

10-12K Should get you a good used SUV or Lt Truck. It's a buyers market. As far as what to buy, thats where it gets tough. I like domestic brands for my on personal reasons, but could not argue the quality of Toy's. If your pulling a trailer, take that into consideration.

Had a Toyota for 13 Minnesota winters, that never let me down. 200,000 and still runs and drives great, from the guy that bought it from me. I have a 02 Tacoma now, that pulls my boat anywhere I need to go. Can't beat the entire package.

Seabass,
I bought a Toyota 4runner in July 1991, brand new, I still have it. I drove it until I got my Yukon XL in 2001, then my son drove it until he bought a 1981 Toyota pickup, now my daughter drives it. It has 285,750 miles on it and it still runs great, it has developed some rust, but it is a good car for my 18 year old daughter to drive. It has the 3.0L V6, which has been pretty good on mileage, 20-22 on the highway. If you are planning on towing anything, the mileage drops quite a bit, with my 16' Lund and all my gear it drops to 12-14, but it has worked very well for me.

Ole

Fish On,
I looked at all the SUV's back in '91 when I bought my 4runner, when I looked at the Explorer the price was around $20,000, I told the sales guy that I was planning on pulling a fishing boat, he then said you would have to buy one with the towing package because the one I was looking at only had a towing capacity of 900 lbs., and the towing package was and additional $2200, and that would bring the capacity up to 2500 lbs. I bought the 4runner for $23,500 and it came standard with a 3500 lbs capacity.

So if you look at a Explorer, make sure it has the towing package or you'll have problems.

Ole

I've been in auto/truck repair business for ten years...I'd starve to death fixing toyota's...They will drive until the body falls off..IF you replace timing belts/chains,water pumps, keep maint current..They're only down side is typically smaller engines not built for heavy towing!!

take a look at a jeep cher4x4,not the grand
cher,should be in your price range for a 99\
2001 model,able to pull a boat etc,about 20
mpg,

The positive comments on Toyotas are correct. Obviously there are exceptions, but the drive train on those things lasts forever when cared for.

I have personally been fairly happy with Ford products for the last 12 years, but only because Toyota hasn't quite had a product that fit my needs very well (until maybe the Tundra).

Dodge, Chevy and Jeep have had documented quality problems over the range of years that your budget will put you in. I'm sure there are people out there who have had no problems whatsoever with these three, but I'm just providing info listed in Consumer Reports and other publications that track quality, service and satisfaction.

I have had a few inexplicable problems with my 2001 F150, so perhaps next time I'll shell out the couple of extra grand for the Toyota.

Good luck.

Does consumer reports list how many people had problems? Are we talking a few hundred out of millions of customers? Does consumer reports say how many millions of people that didnt have any problems?

Cropeye,

Consumer Reports gets most of their used auto info from surveying their members, which number in the millions. They do provide info on how many respondents there were in each study and they list their criteria for determining how good or bad something is.

I, being a natural skeptic, have found that their annual info on autos is more reliable than a lot of the other products/services on which they review and comment. When CR's staff does a review, I take that with a grain of salt. I trust the new car reveiws less than older vehicles because the former is speculation....the latter based on real experience.

Consumer Reports serves a purpose, but when researching any major purchase, always get info from as many sources as possible. If you hear the same thing from several sources, chances are it's true.

Well thats what I thought as well when i was looking at used autos and bought a 1998 4runner and had nothing but problems, yet my brother bought a ford that the CR said was not good and he has no problems?

Well, we're dealing with averages on these things, you know.

My 2001 F150 was highly rated on reliability and I've already had more problems with it than I have had on any other newer vehicle I've owned. Nothing major, but little things that shouldn't go wrong (all still under warranty).

There is a certain amount of luck involved in buying used vehicles.

I have owned a Ford Explorer, Chevy Blazer, and now a Toyota SUV. Hands down the Toyota is the way to go for my towing and family needs. The V-8 in my Toyota SUV has PLENTY of low end torque and HP for towing and is very smooth. What I have noticed most is that at no point does the transmission ever seem to search out gears even during heavy acceleration/passing while towing. Plus I dont ever have to visit the dealship except for routine maintenace (unlike the Ford and Chevy)

My only words of advice would be to be careful with the older 4-Runners. Most of them were built with a smaller V-6 which might not handle the towing as well as you are hoping for.

Good luck!

Well,

..Since we're still talkin' trucks here..... I bought a 94' 4Runner (used) in 96' with 21k on it. It now has 160k on it, and while it runs well, it needs more work than I'm willing to pay for. Performance-wise it's been a great vehicle, although a bit pricey for repairs out of warranty. I have the SR5 V6 4wd, and it is a true off road performer. Lots of torque, ground clearance, and perfect low range gearing. For my 1400lb fishing rig it was fabulous at pulling out of ANY launch site. However, on the highway it's a real slug, as until this year, 4Runners were notoriously underpowered. BUT, if I was lookn' for a second car, winter car, or fishin' car, I'd definitely consider 4Runners.

P.S. I was heartbroken to discover the new 4Runners aren't much bigger inside. I was all set to buy one, but my 6'2" frame doesn't really fit, so I'm lookin' at F150's.