• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota Copilot wireless remote add-on?

Cliff Wagenbach

Question

Has anyone out there used the new Minn Kota Copilot remote controll add-on?
If so, how has it preformed and have you had any problems with it?
I'm thinking of putting one on my AutoPilot.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

Although he hasn't tried it in the water, yet, my father-in-law has one mounted on his boat. Looks like it's gonna work great. The movement is instant when the control buttons are pressed.

I looked at them for my new boat but I just went with the Autopilot. Maybe you'd be better than me, but there is no chance the remote wouldn't end up lost, most likely overboard. I'm sure theres things to do to cut down those chances but I knew that when I lost the remote I'd be back to the regular Autopilot. I tried it at the dealer and it seemed responsive, it would be fun to use your remote on your buddy's motor (if he was close by) and drive him crazy.

Thanks for the input guys!
I'll probably have to tie the controls around my neck with a chain to keep from throwing it overboard! But it sure would be nice when I have a boat load of clients if it is trouble free. I will also have the foot controls with, "just in case"!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
Lake Vermilion

Dave, now I have non-buyers remorse, the salesman at the dealer didn't tell me those things. Chalk that up as another negative for this dealer who can't seem to get my boat ready that was originally set for April 2. Waiting....

Dave, I had Autopilot on my last boat, couldn't live without it now. My new boat a 1800 ProV IFS is somewhere between New York Mills and me, supposedly back ordered. Good thing I golf too!

I agree, I have Autopilot as well and like it. I meant, is the CoPilot type control available in Minnkota's newest motors? Maybe you can still get that for your new boat.

I think you have to have the feature on the motor it does not work with a Regular autopilot and frankly, I'm not changing anything on the boat, I can just hear the dealer tell me, "if you wouldn't have switched the trolling motor it would have been ready sooner." I still think I'd loose the remote even if it floats, it would be hard to search a 150,000 acre lake trying to find my remote, I could mount it on a float and a flag and I may still loose it! thanks.

I put the cordless co pilot on my new autopilot this year, love them both after 8 hours, my only whine is the remote is a little to small for my usually frozen fingers. The unit is responsive and works well! Never had an autopilot till this year, man I was missing out but I did keep my cable steer just in case.The co pilot just screws on over the cover plate. Takes all of 5 minutes to put on. It also has a pigtail on it so you can leave your foot control hooked up. Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

[This message has been edited by Paul Rohweller (edited 04-14-2003).]

You guys convinced me too, I just faxed a change order to my Lund dealer to change the Auto Pilot to add the Co Pilot to it. I'll update the site on how many remotes I loose this year. My over under is 4. The good thing is over the years I'll end up finding them in my duck hunting coat, rain gear and when I sell the boat years from now I'll find a couple when I clean out the boat. If you see any floating in Northern MN lakes pick them up I'll offer some reward.

leechlake, you were being stubborn until Paul gave more positive remarks...lol Remember, we're not resposnsible for any more delays in getting your new boat.. wink.gif

I believe the co works on Power Drives. That's what I recall from reading about it...I considered it, but I'm going to let my Power Drive die and I'm going to the Maxxum.

Paul, do you have a Maxxum you'd like to sell? smile.gif

This is what the will all work on and it tells how they work.

Minn Kota Wireless CoPilot

Wireless control for PowerDrive, PowerDrive w/AutoPilot and Riptide with AutoPilot Trolling Motors. Plug-n-Play design allows for easy hook-up. Receiver mounts to the right sideplate. Patented design allows trolling motor to be controlled from the fishing rod, wrist, or belt. Functions include steering (right or left), on/off and speed control. Quick-release rod mounts allow for easy transfer of transmitter from rod-to-rod. System includes: receiver, remote, 3 quick-release rod mounts and Velcro wrist/belt strap. Additional rod mounts and transmitters sold separately.

Add CoPilot to an existing PowerDrive or Autopilot from 1992 to present. Simply attach the CoPilot receiver to the right side plate (2 screws) and plug it into the foot pedal plug at the back of the motor. Optional plug on the receiver allows you to switch back and forth between CoPilot and foot control pedals.

Cost is $149.99

Cliff,
If you purchase the copilot, make sure that you go to Minn Kota's HSOforum and get the bonus form. For the price of shipping, they will send you a second transmitter. Not a bad deal! I'll see you on the Big V in June.

Sorry CD My auto pilot replaced a motorguide brute. I like that thing when I'm playin in the river and its pretty much not worth anything to anyone but me lol...... If I happen to not get along with my auto pilot I'll be shopping for a maxxum too! Besides who wants a motorguide? While I was out blowing hard earned cash I updated my transom turbo pro to the new 74 lb vantage.. The jury is still out on that one. Its got oodles of power but without the ability for instant fwd/rev I'm not too sure about it yet..Good fishin! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Davev,
I bought my CoPilot yesterday and the dealer had the forms there to get the free second control. ($4.99 for shipping)$40.00 value!
Looks like a great way to control my Auto Pilot!! I have always ran my controlls with my hand anyway instead of using my foot. This unit will be perfect if there are not any bugs in it!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
Lake Vermilion

Cliff,
I hooked mine up and it seems to do exactly what they sat it will. I'm putting the boat in the water this afternoon to see how it works. I will advise of good or bad results. We'll see you on June 15th at Everett Bay.

Davev,
Mounted mine yesterday also. Tried it out in the garage and it seemed to work great!
I settled on putting the control on a lanyard and wearing it around my neck, seems to be handy there and at least worth a try.
See you in June!
Cliff

Thanks to the info in this thread I bought the copilot last night. I saw info on them a few weeks ago, but the Cabelas catalog says they are for motors with Grip-Glide. The message from iffwalleyes on 4/17/2003 above has the correct info (any powerdrive or auto pilot from 1992 on).

I installed it in only a couple minutes and tested it in the garage. Wow! It is really slick - the foot control is now on a garage shelf.

My boat will be ready to pick up on Tuesday and I changed the order to include the co pilot. I like the lanyard idea, I can't wait to argue with my buddies about who gets the remote. You know the answer will be, "it's my boat...my remote." It's nice to be 35 and excited about toys still! Thanks for all the info.