Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

75 yamaha 4 stroke

21 posts in this topic

I just bought a new lund pro angler with a 75 yamaha 4 stroke.
Been out on the lakes 4 times carefully breaking it in. It is a very quiet and smooth running engine, but I could not get this to troll down any less than about 3 1/2 to 4 mph. This seems a little fast. Is this normal for these motors ,or is there adjustments that can be made to slow this thing down a little. Different prop maybe?
Any input would be greatly apprieciated.
Thanks in advance

Drift sock? I don't think so.
Trolling plate? Save your money.

I have a F60 Yamaha on my Pro Angler, and it trolls down to 1.2 MPH.
It sounds to me like an adjustment needs to be made. Call your dealer, they will make the correct adjustments.
I have one tank of gas thru my rig and I really like it.
No more stink, fumes and smoke with these new four strokes, they are the best.

Good luck with your new rig... grin.gif

any ideas on your top speed yet i bought the same motor but on the 1675 explorer and i hope to get it out some time before the opener??

Skeets is correct, I have A 2002 Yamaha 115 hp four stroke, I can get it under 2 MPH for trolling. Both my GPS and Garmin 240 verfiy this. I get it to 1.8 on the 240 and 1.6 on the GPS. Not too much of a divergence between the two, so I must be able to get it under 2 MPH.

Two strokes won't troll as slowly as four storkes.

Your motor sounds like it needs to be adjusted.

Two strokes wont troll as slowly as four strokes? Am I missing something here? Has technology changed since they came out?

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

How many rpm's are you turning at your lowest speed? You should be down around 600-650. You can reduce troll speed (and will reduce topend speed) by going to a smaller pitch prop ie from 17 to 15.
For comparison, my 90 4stroke trolls at 2.8 gps at 600rpm on a 1040# boat. With a 5 gallon bucket off both back cleats I'm at 1.3 mph gps. I've got a 17 pitch aluminum prop.
Xplorer

Thanks for the input.
The top end with my current prop (17pitch)
is about 36.
I don't have a tach. (better get one) but it sounds to me like I probably should get the motor broke in first, then have the adjustments. Its kind of a pain in the a__
to shift too because of the seemingly higher rpm's. Shifting from neutral to fwd. or rev.
is not smooth! It slams into gear instead of slipping smoothly into gear.
By the way my motor on my old boat was a 85' 50 merc two stroker and it would troll down to 1.2 mph (sweet). I guess I was spoiled!

I shouldn't have to argue my point here at all. Four strokes are a superior motor to ANY 2 stroke for many reasons, especially trolling down to slow speeds.
GPS do not lie, 1.2 MPH is 1.2 MPH--Believe it!

Dereck, I do not appreaciate name calling here either, you are a "professional", you should know that.

Skeets where did Derek ever call you a name? Because reading over the thread I never saw it. It is pretty obvious that you two have different opinions so what that is what make us different. But I think that we all probably could listen to Derek since he probably fishing more than most of us. It is true that the motor might need some adjustments but this isn't that uncommon for a new motor. He was just asking we you got your speed from because paddle wheel speedo aren't as accurate and you never said in you intial post that you used a gps.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

It is kinda funny how those posts get dusted after someone replys...

Anyway, no hard feelings in any way. smile.gif

The size of the boat has a lot to do with this. Also, you should get your motors broke in before you start making adjustments.

After you have you motor broke in, check how many RPM's you are turning. This will tell you if something needs to be adjusted or you have the wrong prop. 1.2 MPH is pretty slow. I can barely get my T8 down there. LOL

Again, the size of boat you are pushing is going to make a HUGE difference, also wind, current, etc. But, finish breaking your motors in before you worry about it.

Skeets, I didnt call you any names. I was asking you if your using a paddle wheel speedometer. My question read like this. Are you using a paddle wheel speedo skeets?

Sorry for the confusion.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I am sure that skeets knows what he is talking about. It is a huge difference between 3mph and less than 2. Although i have both paddle wheel and gps, all i have to do is throw a lure behind the boat and can get within a couple tenths.
The drawback of written communication, you cant always tell what the other person is really intending when they write.

I agree with Derek.

I have owned a four stroke since 2000, and albeit a more quiet, more fuel efficient ride, it does not troll (by default) slower than a compareable sized two stroke.

You can speak with ANY motor manufacturer and they will tell you the same thing.

I do agree with a few posts that the motor may need some adjustments, my yahama did as well, when I first got it. Like Scott S. mentioned in an earlier post, I broke the engine in and them made the adjustments.

However, I could easily see 3mph for a 75 and a Angler series boat. Was it calm water conditions? Were you front trolling or back trolling? Even at 600 to 700 RPMs you will have a difficult time reaching down to 1.2mph without the use of a sock or plate.

However it sounds like there may be some exceptions to this, according to some earlier posts.

Is a funny thing. A lot of people ask,,how fast will she go,,while few ask how well will she troll. A post above asks only how fast, and that may be fine for many people, but i like to troll, and would every time trade 5mph top end for the ability to troll without buckets or socks. There must be a formula to figure how a motor will perform. I read a post on some topic here that said to be within 20% of max rating. Slow enough to troll, yet giving descent top end, anyone have any ideas?

FYI
I have a 75 4 stroke Merc (same motor as yamaha) on a 1775 Lund Pro V (I believe a heavier boat) that will troll down on average to 1.8mph (varies if your going with or against waves/wind, etc.)

On another note it was mentioned above to "switch to smaller pitched prop, 17-15" What exactly do those #'s stand for? I thought that it was something like the number of revolutions to go 1 ft. If that is the case wouldn't going from a 17 to a 19 actually be slowing you down (more rev's to go the same distance)???

Wavewacker,

Actually, you've got your prop theory a little turned around.. the pitch number is theoretically the number of inches the motor will move in one revolution...

I too recently purchased a new F-75 Yamaha 4 stroke tiller and I can get it below 1 mph. No problems at all shifting. I would call your service dept. now.

Johnson 4-stroker 70 HP on a 1998 Lund Mr. Pike 1650 hull. She trolls down to 1.8 mph @ 600 rpm.

Don't start it AFTER you have it running already! grin.gif (you will sooner or later at least once grin.gif)

Have FUN! grin.gif

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

I stopped in and talked to my dealer today. He actually brought up the topic of adjusting the idle up or down. It's very simple. Under the bottom carb (there's four of them) there is a single phillips head adjusting screw adngled at about 45 degrees. It's connected by a rod to every carb.

Put some rabbit ears on the lower unit and play with the idle.

I wouldn't wait any longer.