Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pharcta2

Mercury outboard problems - any ideas?

6 posts in this topic

I added an on-board charger, and changed the ends on the "accessories" wire connected to the battery as well. Hooked everything back up like it was (I think). Now, the trim/tilt is inoperative and the motor doesn't crank. This all worked prior to the addition. I've checked the fuse under the cowl (I think there is only one) and have tested with a multimeter. The wire coming in are reading 12.79 volts.

Is there a breaker, or other "feature" I missed?

Thanks in advance!

I would double check connections, if tilt doesn't work it might be just connection to battery, be sure you connected large cables from motor, and don't switch polarity on them.
I don't think there is a fuse somewhere on Mercs, but newer ones might have it, which model and year ?
I can look at diagrams.

I agree, if you do not have tilt then it's your main positive and negitive cables. something simple like turn around maybe.

PoleBender

Valv - its a 96 75hp oil-injected.

Still troubleshooting, so if you have a schematic handy, maybe?

Thanks

If you send me your email, I can send a picture of motor parts.

Still sounds odd that it will won't work.

I figured it out last night. Using a multimeter, I found the voltage going to the motor was 13.4, about perfect. Then, just for grins, I tested amperage. 3. Yup, 3! Corrosion had built up on the inside of the negative terminal lug. I had juise, just not enough of a connection to run anything else!

Thanks for all that assisted me in finding the wild goose!