Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Throttle cable and shifter cable too long...

7 posts in this topic

No, you can't cut them or shorten them. They are factory compressed. I would recommend buying the proper size throttle cable. A dealer of some sort can help you out, but be sure to measure the distance properly.
I broke a cable last year and bought one at a dealer for $28.

At a last resort, coil the excess in a circle and tie it off. Cables do not like to be bent, the extra strain could break it. When I broke mine, my boat when full throttle out of control into large waves. No fun. I would have been stranded if it weren't for the kicker motor.

On shift and throttle cables they should be 3 foot 6 inches longer than the actual distance measurment. this allows the engine to turn freely without danger of pinching the cables, so if the cables are 4 foot longer they will be fine because that will make a loop only 15.28 inches in diameter. grin.gif

Thanks for the responses. I've got it coiled up and laying on the back casting deck now - not too handy. I'll give the Suzuki dealer a call and see what they can do.

Thanks again
Terry

A friend of mine just bought a new boat last fall and his boat came with the cables too short.
From turning the motor to many times they both broke the kicker and the main.
They do need slack!

http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002

[This message has been edited by Brian Sander (edited 04-11-2003).]

I bought a used 85 horse outboard and put it on my 16' Sylvan and the throttle cable and shifter cable are about 4 or 5 feet too long. Can I cut them or replace them? Any other thoughts?

tjhunter

Because of the way the cables are restrained in the control box and / or motor, you can't cut them... but you can replace them without too much work...

marine_man