• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Throttle cable and shifter cable too long...

Question

I bought a used 85 horse outboard and put it on my 16' Sylvan and the throttle cable and shifter cable are about 4 or 5 feet too long. Can I cut them or replace them? Any other thoughts?

tjhunter

6 answers to this question

On shift and throttle cables they should be 3 foot 6 inches longer than the actual distance measurment. this allows the engine to turn freely without danger of pinching the cables, so if the cables are 4 foot longer they will be fine because that will make a loop only 15.28 inches in diameter. grin.gif

Thanks for the responses. I've got it coiled up and laying on the back casting deck now - not too handy. I'll give the Suzuki dealer a call and see what they can do.

Thanks again
Terry

I bought a used 85 horse outboard and put it on my 16' Sylvan and the throttle cable and shifter cable are about 4 or 5 feet too long. Can I cut them or replace them? Any other thoughts?

tjhunter