• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a used outboard worse than death?

chunkytrout

Question

I have a 17'6" tri-hull with a solid dependable Johnson 60 on it. Problem is after she planes (20mph) there aint nothin left. It tops out at just under 30. I'd like to move up to a 90 or 115 but NO WAY can I afford a new one. So I need advice on finding a used one. Whatta ya think? I've been told fat chance on finding anything decent.

chunky

15 answers to this question

You might be better off getting a whole new rig altogether...if you switched to an aluminum boat, you wouldn't need all that power. Maybe throw the 60 johnson on something else?

I can truely appreciate your situation. There are a lot of motors in the 90-110 range out there. The easiest to find are in the 84-89 vintage, somewhere around 3000. I have seen a couple the past six months, just a few years old and great shape for around 4500, seemed like good deals.Sooo,,,
1-get an older (85') model for just over 3k, and sell your motor outright, would not cost that much then. make sure that the place will let you have the motor checked before paying.
2-Bite the bullet and sell your rig and get something more suitable to your needs.
An upgrade is always a good thing!

Check out a place called PMC they sell rebuilt outboards and offer a full warranty on them. they are sometimes as much as 50% less than a new O/B. I have used quite a number of their rebuilt powerheads and they have been super reliable. grin.gif

First, what do you what to get to? My 17' Nortwoods with a 120 hp Force will top out at 35, but I cruise at 30. This is the true gps speed. Are you sure that you are really going 30, or do you just want to go faster? I derated the speed of my rig by going to a 15 pitch prop instead of a 19, but it's more than a fair trade because of much b etter hole shot. A new stainless prop might help, but with just a 60 you wouldn't get more than 1 or 2 mph better. But if the complaint really is hole shot, that might help some. But if you are still dissatisfied, I think the best advice is to bite the bullet and trade rigs. If you can't afford used, than sell used and buy used. There's lots of good used rigs out there that'll smoke ythe old heavy tri hull and are all ready to go.

How many horsepower is your baot rated for?

Jumping from a 60hp to a 90 or 115hp sounds like too big a jump. I think that you maybe grossly under powered now or that you will be way over your boats rating if you up grade. And that will lead to safety & legal prolems.

PoleBender

There are some dealers up on the canada boarder that deal lease returns from the resorts up there. Might save you big money. I have heard from a few people that they where reliable and come with factory warrenty. So I baught one. Mail order motors. Next best thing to sliced bread. Picked it up at the freight depot in roseville. It came in great packing. She is on the boat right now and has been in the water once also. Works great.
Here is a shot at the dealer. Pine Wood sports. They have all the motors listed online. Other wise go to the manufactors web sites and do a dealer search for canada. A little research should find you one of the others that do lease returns.
I am happy with mine so far.

Good Luck

Got mine from Tompkins Hardware in Emo Ontario.Sounds like an odd business but they are much more than a hardware store. Very nice folks to deal with. They are right across from I. Falls.Ask for Tom Mosbeck

Gadgetman. Sounds like you must of been happy with them. I talked to that dealer also but they didnt have what I wanted at the time. Did you get yours shipped or go pick it up? I always wondered how the resorts where able to get new equipment every year.