• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how do you bleed out air in trim/tilt motor

Question

I seem to be having similar problems as tjwierz with my trim/motor. Motor will not trim up or down but the motor sounds like its trying to work but it makes clicking noises. Any suggestions? I tried topping of the fluids.... Thanks

14 answers to this question

Year will be helpful too.
Does it click either going up or down, or just 1 way. Usually there are 2 solenoids for it, 1 for each way, if one works and other doesn't you can switch them around to find out if it's actually solenoid problem.

Its a 1990 60HP Johnson. What are solenoids and where the heck are they? :-)

Also...where do they wires from the tilt/trim motor go? Where do they end up?

[This message has been edited by wizkid (edited 04-11-2003).]

This may sound dumb, but it just may be stuck from sitting all winter... Take a small hammer and tap(NOT HIT) the trim moter while holding down the trim botton.. You may be able to get it going again?

This worked for a friend of mine... and the mechanic told him to do it!

If anything sounds dumb here...its me. This is the first time Ive had to look into trim/tilt problems. I dont know why it would just stop working after sitting idle for 6 months.

Looks like I have to resort to smacking it around a little bit?

When tapping on the motor, try to tap either end...not the center. The center holds the magnets and every once in while even a slight tap might damage the magnets or windings.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Turner (edited 04-11-2003).]

Is the battery dead? Connections good?
The click you hear is probably the solenoid closing its contacts.

Solenoid is a heavy duty switch thats turned on and off buy a smaller switch.

Look for a fuse between the solenoid and the tilt motor.
Its aslo possible the brushes in the motor are stuck. Thats the reason for tapping the motor.

Im guessing the connections are ok...since the pistons will move some and it sounds like the normal whirring sound?

Are there separate battery connections for the tilt/trim motor that should be hooked to the main battery?

The 2, 3 inch long pistons will move out like they normally used too. However, the motor actually wont go up or down. And the pistons go back in EXTREMELY slow. When I try to trim it down...it makes the loud clicking noises...but the motor wont move.

The whole motor wont engage and trim up or down. The motor for the tilt/trim sounds like its trying to go. The pistons will come out, but wont go back in.

wizkid, I'm getting confused. I thought you said all you get is a clinking sound. Now you said the pistons move and the tilt motor makes a whirling sound?

The tilt motor gets its power from a wiring terminal attached to the power head.

Did yo put any fluid in it. it sound like it has to much fluid in it.or is air locked.open the filler cap just a little and trim it down tolet the air out till some fluid comes out.then tight it back up.
you can use power steering fluid for this it cheeper and is the same thing.
good fishin
jimBo

sounds like its time to do some trouble shoting. If possible unhook trim cylinders from motor. Then try to move motor up and down if it moves freely you no that pivot point for motor is not rusted stuck. Next have someone watch trim cylinders while you run them in and out. It sounds like trims cyliders not working properly. Without extra weight of motor on cylinders try to run them in and out to free them up.

Problem is FIXED!!! Took it in today and within 30 minutes they had it resolved. They said the Manual Release Valve was loose. Tightened that up and I was good to go. Thanks for the help guys. Time to hit the water. :-)