• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anchor Question

Iceman73

Question

I have a Crestliner Fishhawk 1650, and have had continuous problems getting my anchors to hold the boat, even in light wind. I am assuming I should try a different type of anchor. I originally had only one anchor, that was given to me by my father in law. When this didn't hold, I purchased a second anchor for the stern, and 8 times out of 10, they still combined can't hold the boat in place. They are both a three prong type mushroom type anchor. I am assuming I should try something that has more of an edge to dig into the bottom on it. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Most anchor problems are due to people just tying the line to the anchor. When this is done the anchor does not stay down and grab the mud or rocks or sand and it slips. You need to put at least a six foot or more (more is allways better) of metal chain on the anchor. This added weight keeps it down flat and it grabs the bottom better. Also as the other guy said you need to put out more scope (more line) to keep the angle of the line at less than 45 degrees. Good Luck

Wishin2BFishin

You don't state the type of bottom you are trying to hold. Is it sand, rubble, muck? Chances are you are over a sand bottom with too little line out. Sand just doesn't seem to hold that well any how. Three pronged mushroom anchors need a good deal of aspect ratio to hold. Also, you didn't say how much you're anchors weigh. I think you should be looking at at least a 17 lb. anchor.