• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard Motor Question, HELP

Ole1855

Question

I'm looking for some feedback from someone out there that is an outboard motor mechanic.

Here's my problem;

Last fall on my last fishing trip my 1984 Johnson 60 HP motor bogged out like I ran out of gas, so I switched tanks, got it started and took off again. About 1/2 mile farther across the lake it bogged out again. I checked the tanks, both had gas and the vent valve was open. The motor would start up again as soon as I would get it stopped and put it back into neutral. I fished the rest of the day but I could only run the motor at 1/2 speed.

I took it to my mechanic last night and explained what was going on to him, he said "That doesn't sound good, it sounds like you are seizing up the motor", I questioned why it would re-start and run at 1/2 throttle, his answer was, " it doesn't get too hot at 1/2 throttle". He also told me if that is what's wrong with it, he will not re-build it for me, he suggests I get a new motor. Does this sound right? I left it with him so he could check the compression to see if the cylinder walls are scored.

Please if there are any mechanics out there I'd really like to hear your opinions, because right now I can't afford a new motor.

Ole

First off I want to thank everyone for their responses, the reason I first asked for help was to see what everyone else thought, because I wasn't sure I agreed with the mechanics initial diagnosis.

I picked the boat up yesterday and took it right to the lake to try it out, and it ran great, so I guess I'm happy with the end result even if I didn't like writing out the check to pay his bill. The reason I say that is he re-built the carborators thinking that was the problem when it ended up being the wires being pinched from the coil that was killing the motor. I questioned his approach to trouble shooting and his response was "Well they needed to be rebuilt anyway", next time I need work done I will be going else where.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Ole

kwkfsh It may have been a bad day and I apologize for giving it to you with both barrels. I see now that I could have been nicer about it.

Ole Its always the stupid little things that go wrong, Whoda thunk it was a couple loose wires.
Nothing wrong with getting the carbs cleaned. Its preventive maintenance. One or both could have been a little dirty. Your motor could have been running lean but still running great and you wouldn't know it till you cooked a piston.
Now you have peace of mind.