• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PLEASE HELP, trouble with power tilt/trim on outboard

tjwierz2

Question

I am having trouble with my power tilt/trim on my outboard. Worked fine the end of last year. I have a 91 60HP Johnson tiller. Thing runs like a champ! However, the power tilt/trim isn't working on it. There are 2, 3 inch long pistons on the back of it and when I begin to tilt it up...the pistons come out fine...just like they used too. When I try to trim it down after they're out...they go EXTREMELY slow. Took about 3 minutes to trim the pistons all the way back down and into the hole they come out of.

The motor will never lock into position it just hangs there. It wont tilt up or down. I am able to lift it up and lock it in the full up position.

But it just will hang there. The motor for the tilt/trim sounds normal...sounds like its trying to work. But I cant even take it out right now because the motor wont lock at all. I was able to back it in and the motor itself was running great.

Im not great with motors...Im not sure if there is a lever Im supposed to flip somewhere (I didnt see any). If something else is supposed to be hooked to the battery (I didnt see anything). Bad fuse? Bad tilt/trim motor? NO IDEA.

I have already had my boat in twice this year to have the trailer lights halfway fixed, and get a new prop and lower unit welded. I dont want to have it in again so I can pay $70 an hour for someone to look at it.

Please help if you can. Of course there will be a small reward if someone can tell me what's wrong or can give me an idea to fix this thing. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

I would think fluid also, sound like you are very low. If you want to drive 40 minutes south, I can help you with no problem, it might be difficult to explain in writing, and there is no need to pay.

Talk to my father tonight who has owned a few boats over the years and his only suggestion was check the fluid also. I won't be able to check until tomorrow. So we'll see...

Thanks for the help...I'll post results tomorrow

Do you know how to check and refill ?
It's the large screw on pump to the right of the T&T motor when you look from behind.
If fluid is red you can use Dextron tranny fluid, if it's yellowish it might be 10w30 or look at manual recomendations. You have to tilt motor all the way up to fill it up.
Then run it both ways for a while to bleed it from air. When it'll go up+down with no problem, lift it up again, remove screw to let some air go out....and you're done. Clean area very well, and pay attention if there is any leak of fluid.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 04-10-2003).]

Also check your manual release valve. It has a regular screwdriver head and is accessed through a hole in the side of the transom bracket. See if it is tight and if it is loosen it 3 turns and retighten. If you find any traces of water in the fluid, it will be milky looking you will nees to bring it to a dealer to have resealed and cleaned.

UPDATE: Took the top screw out tonight and red power trim fluid came out...which means there was plenty in there...also added extra, and drained a little out the bottom to see how it looked...it looked fine.

The only suggestion I have from a couple people since the motor seems to want to work and the cylinders will move out...seems to be BLEED THE AIR OUT. Perhaps some air moved in while it sat for 6 months.

QUESTION...how do I bleed the air out...if some is in there? The only thing I can think of is too remove the top screw and move the motor up and down for awhile.

SUGGESTIONS? THOUGHTS?

More ???
I have an 02' 50hp merc and when i trim the motor up (prop just in the water or a little lower) and i give it some gas it goes down all by its self
i have seen people driving there boat onto the trailer with it up, then gun it and the motor dosen't move???
the rig was new last year and when i was trying to drive it on the trailer i looked back and the motor had moved all the way down!!!!!!
is it supposed to do this or is there something wrong im new to the trim/tilt had a 40 johnson before withno trim/tilt