• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trasom savers-yes or no for a 30 hrs yamaha

Murdock

Question

I recently purchased a 16 foot Lund Rebel with a 30 hrse tiller Yamaha. I trailer the boat as far as 200 miles at times, as little as 2 miles at other times, mostly on asphalt roads, not on many gravel roads. What is your opinion on a transmom saver? If you are in favor of transom savers, how do they attach to the back of the trailer? I just want to be sure I don't crack my transom or worse yet, lose my motor. Any suggestions or experienced stories would be appreciated.

9 answers to this question

I've had boats with them and without them. I hate when I go over a bump especially at slow speeds and it feels like the motor just ripped the transom out. I don't think you need one but for a few bucks you get the piece of mind of taking care of your boat and that's reason enough to get one.

MURDOCK
For a 2 stroke motor no...for a 4 stroke motor yes(bigger and heavier). Installation is easy with install instructions and usually come with the hardware/mounting bracket. Like others said piece of mind, what you feel comfortable with.

Murdock,

I would recommend a transom saver. For the little it costs it can save you big money in the future. They make models that mount to the rear center roller and there are models that you mount a bracket to the bottom of the trailer. Either way I wouldn't trailer my boat without one.

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

I would strongly suggest a transom saver, even for a smaller motor. Just try to trim motor up and shake lower unit a little, you'll see motor putting a lot of leverage on transom, it might not be immediate, but you'll have problem in future. You don't have to use it for short trips, but for mid and long range they are very helpful.
It will probably cost around $ 50.00, which is a small investiment after you spent some $$ on a new boat.

When I bought my boat with a F80 Yamaha 4 stroke, the dealer told me it wasn't necessary. Even though they told me that, I think they're a good idea.

I've heard a lot of conflicting reports though whether or not they're a good thing. If you get one, just make sure you know how to use it properly. Where to attach it to the trailer and especially to the motor is the most critical part. For those that feel they're a bad thing, it comes down to not knowing where to place the transom savor on the lower unit when trailering. If not placed in the right spot it can do some damage to the motor.

AWH

Have someone else pull your boat and you drive behind it. Watch your motor bounce without a transom saver even on very small bumps. $50-60, 2 minutes on or off. A transom saver can prevent serious problems. I have a 16 foot rebel with a 15 horse 4 stroke and after seeing it bounce, got a transom saver.

[This message has been edited by DickUrban (edited 04-09-2003).]

I have hare a bass boat for sale with a 150hp Yamaha. It was rearended slightly, buy it did have a transom saver, and it did take the whole impact, saving the lower unit. Only damage was transom saver and trailer roller it was installed to.