• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor problems?

Question

Looks like alot of problems with motors these days,been there before. I used to own a 1955 evinrude, 15hp. Bought it cheap enough boat/motor combo, but I spent the first season always tinkering with it. Seemed like something always not right. Running probs, hard starting, kicked out of reverse all the time.. The next year I was thinking of unloading it, and let someone else deal with the probs. A friend told me about an old guy that worked on nothing but old evinrudes and johnsons. I took it to him had him go thru it end to end. Cost 120 bucks, but I spent my time out fishing, actually fishing instead of messing with the motor all the time. It started on the first or second pull and ran like a new one all summer. The next spring I took it back to him before I even got ready to get the boat out. Just to check it out make sure it was ready. I used it for 5 years and never had it let me down. If you don't have better things to do with your time, then tinker on that old motor. But if you want to spend you time in your boat, not working on it. Send it to an expert once year for a going over and you'll never be sorry for it. Money well invested if you want to enjoy your time on the water.
Good fishing.

9 answers to this question

Looks like alot of problems with motors these days,been there before. I used to own a 1955 evinrude, 15hp. Bought it cheap enough boat/motor combo, but I spent the first season always tinkering with it. Seemed like something always not right. Running probs, hard starting, kicked out of reverse all the time.. The next year I was thinking of unloading it, and let someone else deal with the probs. A friend told me about an old guy that worked on nothing but old evinrudes and johnsons. I took it to him had him go thru it end to end. Cost 120 bucks, but I spent my time out fishing, actually fishing instead of messing with the motor all the time. It started on the first or second pull and ran like a new one all summer. The next spring I took it back to him before I even got ready to get the boat out. Just to check it out make sure it was ready. I used it for 5 years and never had it let me down. If you don't have better things to do with your time, then tinker on that old motor. But if you want to spend you time in your boat, not working on it. Send it to an expert once year for a going over and you'll never be sorry for it. Money well invested if you want to enjoy your time on the water.
Good fishing.

Gee, that's who's was the motor I received last week. I thought it was a present from Rick here at FishingMN for posting..... grin.gif
Nice Merc 4 stroke....

Just kidding CD, that is terrible, how can you loose an outboard ? There must be something fishy in it, I would contact somebody. I wish you good luck.

Valv-
Couldn't have been my 4-stroke you received...I was supposed to receive a Yamaha! I was hoping you were the one who had it, darn!

I have contacted everyone under the sun on this mess. From now on I am driving to pick things up on my own...road trip!

So who's this Merc I have ...??? wink.gif
CD out of 4 or 5 brands I had to take a shot, I mentioned wrong brand, otherwise joke would have been nice.

CD,
Since you ordered a new Yamaha, I assume you did some research so give me some info on the new motor. I duck hunted ND with a Yamaha dealer from Florida and he said Yamaha was coming out with a whole new breed of 4 stroke. Not a modified small car engine but something designed specifically for marine applications. Specifically: lightweight. Is this what your new motor is supposed to feature or is this still a future developement. Have a 30 hp on my duck boat that I'd like to replace while it's still worth something but can't afford to hang all that weight on a jon boat. Best of luck locating your motor. Hope you don't have to settle for another brand.

Bryce-
I didn't buy a new Yamaha, I just found a guy in CA who was selling a used 9.9 4-stroke for a good price, so I went out on a limb and bought it to only have it lost during the shipping. It has been a real ordeal because I really want to get trolling again! I can't troll since I bought a 115 hp motor on the boat, she goes too fast. I can't afford a new kicker (also duck boat) motor. I will just have to search some more.

I did hear that Yamaha has re-built some 4-stroke models and if I remember right, I think they are doing away with the 9.9 hp and reforming the 8hp. Something like that..

Scott. He's in LaCrosse I could check for the phone # if you want it. I haven't used him for awhile, but I'm pretty sure they still work on motors. It was an old fella and his son doing the work. The old man may be retired by now. They did great work for me and worked only on smaller motors. I think if he couldn't lift it he didn't work on it. I'll check on it.
Good Fishing