• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rust removal on trailer

Shorelunch

Question

I have an older Shorelander trailer with a fair share of rust. Is their a way to get rid of most or all of the rust - besides buying a new trailer, of course? Are there any chemicals (ie Super Iron Out, Naval Jelly, etc) that would work for a broad application? Or is the only way to get of the rust is to sand, prime and paint?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

The best way would probably be to get a wire brush attachment for a disc grinder or drill and then go to town. Clean the rust off and then get a good primer and quality paint and redo it like that. I think this sounds like the best method for the amount of rust you mentioned.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

Sandblasting works great for this. You can find a couple of places in the phone book or if you have an air compressor , a small portable blast unit can be purchased at a place like Northern Tool. Then follow this up with a good anti-rust primer sealer and a coat of enamel paint.
Dino

another way that they use alot on cars is acid and water water keeps it from bein to strong keep a hose handy to rinse off the acid. its alot faster and doesnt miss any like sanding will miss the heart of the cancer.

If you cannot use acid, sandblasting is the only way to get a half decent job.
If you have paint bubbling up a lot with rust underneath, try using a pressure washer very close to area, it will peel all loose paint, then you can sandblast.