• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice Updates

About a half hour ago I put some of the equipment in the back of the truck to go done to one of the small ponds in Matshalltown and check out the ice conditions. After driving by I realized that I sould have backed up to the Lund(if it wasn't all covered up for winter).

Is there any ice anywhere in Iowa that is even close to being safe. How about Storm Lake. I'll be that way for Christmas the weekend after.

Please post ice conditions,location and fishing report even if there is no ice. Try not to stray too far from the subject matter and update as the days or weeks go by.

Thanks and
Happy Holidays to all:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here you go. Just got back from eye fishing on pool 9 and 10. Saw people icefishing north of lansing, some on desoto bay, many on spring lake and colds springs north of prairie du chien, and some on bussey north of guttenburg. The predicted temps for up there this week will surely make more ice, but I have my doubts as to whether it will get this far south in Ia.

Herb, Iwas on Desoto Bay today 6 inch of ice.I missed agood crappie bit by 3 hours. I got 2 small blue gills. Had fun met some nice people.Got some pointers will try them in the morning.Spring lake was slow I was told so I didnt try.Bring on ice!!

Herb,I drive over i can get there less than a hour.So i go alot now that i cant work.Pond fishing is whati like to do the most.Dont have a boat so ice fishing rules for me.Maybe we can meet up sometime?Went to a sandpit today got alot fish mostly small BG andcrappies.Had a blast used a whole can of waxies up in 4 hours.Kept 25 for wifes mom.

Thanks for posting the info. Keep them coming!

I went by Rock Creek(Grinnell\Newton), Arbor(Grinnell) and Diamond Lake(Montezuma)this morning. All are pretty much what I exspected. Some old ice on each end and open around the edges and all the way through in the middle. It didn't really look like a whole lot of new ice had been made.

What is it like north of Hwy 20 besides on the backwaters of Miss.

Thanks again and keep updating.
D.S. Fishtail:

I talked to a buddy of mine monday night who said that the ice was still pretty thick off a couple of points on Rock Creek. Soooo today I loaded up the gear and headed down there. I was able to get on and fish. Cleaned 17 9" to 11" crappie. Fried them up soon there after. MMMmmmm, don't have many left for snacken later.

I was the lone angler on Rock Creek today. Did anyone else give it a try today? How's the ice fishing across the rest of the state?

Give us a post!

Thanks!
DS fishtale:

HOT HOT bite at Lansing between brigdes in dredgehole big blue gills.Kept 25 for supper put back over 40 keepers.Saw 2 nice Northerns and 1 big bass caught on tipups.Idont keep bass.May go back in morning or try Lake Meyer for crappies.Is anybody fishing lets hear some reports??

IceJohn, how did you do up by Lansing. I used to go ice fishing around there with my ex father-in-law a long long time ago. He knew a guy that ran a bait shop up there. We fished the backwater in a pretty secluded spot. As I remember we caught some nice blue gill and Northerns on tip-ups when ever we went up there.

Rock Creek is a couple of miles north of Hwy 6 between Grinnell and Newton.

thinICE, did you find a place to get on over there. I drove by there a little after noon, but didn't see anyone.

Has anyone icefished Casey Lake at Hickory Hills or George Wyth? How about Clear Lake, Black Hawk, Pine Lake, Storm Lake, Snyders Bend, Brown Lake, McBride, Pleasant Creek, Hickory Grove, Don Wiliams, Otter Creek, Beeds Lake, Cornelia, Five Island, one of the Silver Lakes, Spirit, Interstate park, Little Wall, Minnewashta, Okoboji, Delhi, Big Woods, Backbone, kounty Pond, Briggs Woods, Badger, or Union Grove. Did I miss any? I'am sure I did.

Lets post it. We all like fish stories.

Good fishin to ya!
DS fishtale

IceJohn,
How much ice do you have right now on the Dredge hole? Have you tried the Indian or Mule Lake or the Beck or Botsford yet? Thinking about coming up this weekend. We have ice down here but it's not good and will get worse with the coming warmer temps.
fishtail,
That baitshop you speak of I think was ours. We had one at the west end of town from about 1960 to the mid 70's. Ice season was always our best time of year.
herb

Herb you going up north? im thinking about it but not real sure where to fish thought maybe if i ran into you you would help out (im slabs from iowaoutdoors site) ,did you own the bait shop that carlton hanson bought ? ill be in a black toyota with a topper if you see me driving around just yell smile.gif

Herb Fishtail, Ice on dredge hole 5 to 6 inch.I never fished the places you asked about.Got my limit on blue gills 25 .2nice perch and some small bass.Thanks for infor. on Rock Creek.ANY ICE in a 20 mile cirle of Waterloo__ CF. that can be fish on??

Hi bigslabs, Had plans to go this weekend but that got changed. Pretty sure it will next weekend now. Yeah, Hanson bought it from us. I guess it's for sale again.
If you get to Sny area let me know how you do. Been real interested in that area for some time now but just haven't had a chance to try it.

Ice John- Went to George Wyth lake to check it out yesterday. Only about 3/4 of an inch there. Fisher lake had 2 inches and 2 people on it. They werent having any luck though.I know its not the same but you can fish off the handicapped dock at George Wyth. I kicked a hole in off the dock and put the Zercom in and did mark a few fish.

didnt make it out here either ,im in need of some fishing ,herb i never know the names of any spots on the river i usually fish harpers open water ,where is sny? hopefully we get fishable ice around home here in the waterloo area but dont look promising yet ...good luck guys ,talk

SlabDaddy,YOU ever fish north of Indepence ?Iuse to do real good there.By home we still got4 or 5 inch ice on ponds.I am going to a sandpit in the morning. Nice eating size blue gills.If you want to fish up by Hawkeye sometime let me know.I will show a pond or 2.

thought i would let you guys know. a buddy stopped , and said that several guys were fishing "martins" at sweet marsh, and doing well. it sounded like it was last weekend. there was open water in the middle, but along the west side they had 4 in. not sure about ice cond. now. del

Went to Martin's in the Sweets Marsh complex today. Around 5 to 6 in. of ice. Fishing was not good at all. Fished from 2' to 15' and all we found were a few small crappies a gills. How did everyone else do this weekend?

Ice John, I have fished above the Dam in Independence, in factits its one of my favorite crappie spots as I live close to Littleton. I havent fished up by Hawkeye, but would like to go sometime. I fished all day above the dam in Littleton yesterday. The wapsi there was good ice 6-8 inches. I know some good 13-14 foot holes there with very little current. But I couldnt buy a bite- didnt even mark fish- dont know where they are at. Next outing tuesday or wednesday. Ill keep ya posted