• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mounting a bow mount

uffdapete

Question

What is the best way to mount a bow mount electric motor on an '76 S-16 Lund. It has a small 8-10" triangular cast metal (probably aluminum) plate instead of a platform big enough for the mounting plate.

Are there any clamps made to grip the gunwhale molding? Or can you just drill through the gunwhale and bolt a platform to it?

3 answers to this question

I once had a 16 ft Lund that was like what you describe.

I got this idea from a good buddy up in Bemidji-

First he took a piece of cardboard and cut it until it fit the contour of the backside of the bow plate. He used this as a template.
Next he found a scrap piece of 3/4 inch treated plywood.
Using the template, he cut out a small "deck" on which to mount the motor. I made mine so it would go about 1 foot back from the backside of the bow plate.
Then, cover the "deck" with some carpet, preferably marine grade or indoor-outdoor (you can get a 4x6 piece at fleet farm for $6). I fastened mine on the underside with staples by wrapping it around the edge.
Screw or bolt the "deck" onto the gunwalls and then you're ready to mount your motor to it.
Mine lasted until I decided to assign the boat to full-time duck duty. There should also be room enough to mount a flasher or a graph.
Good luck

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail
N.P.A.A. # 841

good idea jim with mine i have a s 14 lund we made a floor and then did the same thing you did but put a front panel with a door to open and close and used the front seat to put a battery mounting station on the seat..
and mounted the front light socket through the plywood.. took out the second seat and put the floor mount in the plywood floor for one pedistal..

------------------
Dwight Skillings
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by dlskills (edited 04-07-2003).]