• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? about 25 hp evinrude

fishtrap3

Question

I am looking at a boat that has older(not sure of age) 25hp evinrude. Owner says shoe and dog slip. What is a shoe and dog?? How much am I looking at spending to get this fixed. Is it easy enough for an average tinkerer to fix?? Please help this pakage is very cheap and I am wondering if its because motor is going to cost an arm and a leg to fix!!! Thanks fishtrap3

4 answers to this question

Sounds like a clutch dog problem to me, no biggie tho, pretty common. Its the parts in the lower unit that hold it from coming out of gear. Cost if you do it yourself should be well under 100 dollars, while you have it apart put in a new water pump and seals in the lower unit, on a scale from one to ten I would give this fix a rating of 5 on difficulty, just remember how it came apart... Good luck! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Fishtrap, Twin Cities Outboard in Shakopee carries part from early 1900s to today. I fix up some older motors as hobby and I never had a problem finding a part and they give you many hints and tips. Recently I have a 1947 3.5 Johnson I had to replace water pump and they show me how to fix a problem with the impeller mfg. (you have to sand it slightly since it's a little high for housing). I would have never known it, mounted pump and broke new impeller right away.

The fix is a easy one to do, if it is the dog & shoe?

If the rig is set on a cable shift check to see if it is adjusted properly first. Some cable adjustments will move and give the appearance that the shifting is messed up, might not be at all? I have a older 25 Evenrude like that and it pulled this trick on me.

Another thing to check is the play in and out on the prop, see if the pin is gone or half sheared, this will produce the effect that the lower unit is not working properly too.

Maybe it is the dog & shoe, maybe not, but take a peak at this stuff first.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson
Backwater Guiding Service
10409 Co. Rd #17 S
Horace, ND. 58047

[email protected]

1-(701)-281-2300