• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mixture for 2-stroke?

Aquaman01

Question

I have a Johnson Sea Horse 2.5 hp that I've never started. I know squat about outboards. 2 questions -

1) What is the gas/oil ratio for this engine?

2) How do I check/drain/fill the lower unit oil?

Thanks -

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

5 answers to this question

Is it an oldie? Odds are the mix is 20 to 1..
To change the lower unit lube hang the motor on a boat or other suitable place so it hangs vertically. Place bucket under prop pull both upper and lower screws, should take a large flat screwdriver. Let unit drain till empty. To refill, insert tube of quality gearcase lube into bottom screw hole and squeeze in the lube till it runs out the top hole. Install top screw before removing tube from bottom. Remove tube from bottom hole and replace that screw. Wipe up mess and dispose of old lube in an appropiate manner. Pretty simple once youve done it a couple times. Have fun!! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

I have an old Johnson 3-1/2 hp. It belong to my uncle and was purchased new in 1959. That gas was always mixed at 1/2 pint per gallon. That ratio would work out to 16:1. The color scheme of the motor is dark maroon with buff or ivory like trim, if that helps to identify the vintage of you're motor. Older Johnsons were green, newer ones were cream colored with maroon trim, but they were all very similar. If it hasn't been run for a while, you should try to get it functioning in the back yard in a garbage can or other suitable continer filled with water. The first thing to look for, once it starts, is that it is pumping water through the exhaust. If it hasn't been used in many years, the impeller may have dried out or deteriorated. The old two cycles are relatively simple and you can go to a library and get a technical manual which will guide you through starting, trouble shooting, and repairing if needed.

I used to be the owner of a 1954 10hp
Johnson, and had some of the same questions
about fuel mixtures. The "master" up
in Robbinsdale told me that with todays
grades of two stroke oils, a 50:1 mix
is just fine. The reason is because back in the day, the oils were just not good enough
for that ratio. This shop specializes in
older Johnsons, so if you ever need parts
or repair I had nothing but good things
to say about them......