• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing boat trailer bearings?

Kingfisher

Question

11 answers to this question

If you don't have bearing buddies, get them. I've had them on my 1890 Yar-craft for seven years without any problem!!! They are easy to install yourself, all you need is a mallet and a block of wood.

If properly maintained the bearings will last a long time. Even with bearing buddies I reccomend cleaning and regreasing them yearly. This gives you a chance to inspect the bearings, hub and shaft for damage. It also gives you a chance to install a new seal, I would recomend installing a double lip seal if you can find one. Also don't forget to use a new cotter pin. Nothing will spoil a trip faster than a blown trailer bearing.

One way to save yourself alot of frustration is to check the temp of your hubs on a regular basis. When you stop for gas or bait just touch your hubs. If they are cool to the touch you have no worrys. If they are hot something needs to be done immediatly. It is also a good idea to carry a bearing kit in the tool box, that way if you ever lose a bearing on the road you can just replace the whole works and be on your way. The kits which have 2 bearings with races and a seal run about $10. Make sure you carry a hammer, large screwdriver, pair of channellocks, tube of grease and some rags. In a pinch you can pull the ball mount out of the hitch and use the ball to start and drive the races in. grin.gif

I repack mine every year. Takes about an hour and I dont have to worry the rest of the summer if Im going to burn one out.
Last thing I wanna do is sit in the ditch replaceing wheel bearing on a fishing trip without the right tools.

I jack up the trailer and give each wheel a good spin. Listen to the noise each spinning wheel makes. This is great after you repack each bearing set, so you know the sound of good bearings...smooth and no growling. Then every once and a while, jack up the trialer and listen. Also shake the wheels side to side to check for excessive bearing play. If you travel long distances from home, it might also be good to have a hub & bearing assy ready to throw on in a pinch. Much easier than replacing bearing races along side the busy hiway.

I'm with surface tension with this one I to repack and inspect mine yearly I have bering buddies on my trailer to the one thing to watch for is that you don't over-grease them to the point you blow your back seal out

Just don't forget with buddy bearings they only really grease the outside bearing. A little grease will get though to the inside but not as much as the outside. Also don't forget about the inside bearing I know a guy that maintained the outside bearing but for what ever reason did do the inside bear. His bearing got so hot it welded itself to the axle and he had to get it cut off. All of this happend on a trip to Canada. Also with the buddy bearing to put in too much grease/pressure or you will blow out the seal. Make sure when you grease the bearing you do a good job of packing them as well don't rely on the buddy bearings. I don't trailer that much every year but I still pack them every year so that I don't have to worry about them.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

hey guys,you oughta check out liqua-lube bearing lube set-up,Hoss performance in White Bear Lk. sells them ,they bathe the bearings in oil just like a Ranger trailer,only difference is the liqua-lube has a clear plastic cover so you can always see whats going on----happy carefree trailering