• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Dock Options

Question

I'm in the market for a new Dock at my cabin.

I have a very steep bank to my shore to contend with so I might be forced to go modular rather than one with wheels.

Also--any input on composite vs. wood is helpful.

I'm near Longville, MN--any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Chells

4 answers to this question

Im no dock guy, but how far out from shore do you need to go? depending on the lenghth, and room you have, you could winch from a tree further up the hill to pull it up, most of the "new" docks have 4'x4' etc removable decking, all alluminum,or cedar, etc, this cuts down on the weight of the alluminum frame and wheels that need to be moved. got a tree?
Im not a fan of the sectional docks.. and any wood top will need upkeep

Yes, I have plenty of big trees on the property I can winch to.
One thought I had was to actually bury a post and cement it in to hold a winch, but I have some large trees close to shore that prevent me from pulling the dock up and out of the water or from dropping it in due to how close together they are on the hill and along shore.

I don't need to go out into the water any specific distance. The water level is about 3ft. when i step off shore into the water and it stays 3ft. deep about 10ft. off shore before it drops off gradually.

------------------
Chells

If you can afford it with the situation that you are discribing I would go with the modular floating type that you described. They are more money but I think that they would work better in you situation with the steep hill. Than would a roller dock which you could bend and tweak when pulling it out.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes

In your situation the only way to go is lift out! Trees can work good for an anchoring point or you can cement in a small lifting pad!

In the fall take off the first couple of sections, hook up a winch or comealong and hoist it up!! You need not get wet and there is ko heavy lifting involved! Its a 1-man job!