• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions on rods...

Capt'nJosh

Question

My wife got me a nice St Croix rod for my birthday, but the tip is messed up on it so I am going to take it back and look at all my options. Are the St Croix and G Loomis really worth the $$$ that you have to fork out for them? I've been using the Galyans Guide Series for the last 2-3 years and have been happy with them. That being said, I haven't fished with a St Croix or G Loomis, so maybe I just don't know what I am missing. For what she paid for my rod/reel I could set myself up with 2 really nice combos from Galyans, so I am trying to decide what to do... Any thoughts out there?

Capt'nJosh

24 answers to this question

It's up to you. I would give the croix's a shot though. But, be warned, once you go to a croix, you might never go back.

Much lighter than the galyans rods, maybe not so much difference on the sensitivity but there will be diffrences.

I would give one of the top-end rods a shot. It's a gift right, she gave you a great rod, take a great rod, no need to get practical and look for bargains. The most expensive rods I have ever owned are the St. Croix Premiers (80 bucks or so) and I absolutely love them, but God, if somebody gave me something better, I don't think I loosen my grip on it too easily.

Hey CaptnJosh,

I would say it depends on what you will be using it for. If you are running cranks and spinners, a lower end st.croix is plenty good. I would even recommend a cheaper rod if your budget is a concern.

If you are using it for jigging or live bait rigging, then you will find a Loomis is simply amazing. I have a Loomis 7'IMX and the sensitivity (coupled with no stretch line) is a thing of beauty. You just can't describe how awesomely sensitive they are. You just have to fish with one to find out. I have not tried the St.Croix Legend Elite, which I have heard is very good as well.

I do have St. Croix Avid and Premier series rods which I like (Avid being superior to Premier), but they are no comparison to my IMX.

Good luck with your search.

Josh,

I buy Cabela's XML Series--they are the same blank as Loomis at 1/2 the cost. Everything about these rods is superior.

I own some ****** Guide Series too for guests in my boat who might drop one over the side or sit on one of my good ones.

Just remember--once you go above 44Million Mod Graphite composition in ANY rod you're paying for marketing "hype"...

------------------
Chells

Chells, Can you explain what you mean with 44Million Mod Graphite composition? I'm used to buying IM6-IM8 rods and have never looked at the high quality rods. I don't know what I should be looking for. I don't care what name is plastered on the side of the thing, I just want to get the best rod for the $$.

Thanks everyone for all your replies!

Capt'nJosh

Yea, and what do you mean by marketing hype? I have a 55mm Rapala rod that I paid $49 at the sportsman guide. And just an FYI, Loomis is exclusive on blanks and does not provide them to Cabelas, only to Castaway.

I've been finding out quite a bit of info on fishing rods today! You are correct that Cabelas do not use G Loomis blanks, I called and talked to the manager of the fishing dept today. I also found out that Cabelas, G ********, and Galyans all get their "Branded" rods from the same manufacturer. The IM6/7/8 rods you get at those stores are all the same blanks with different names on them.

Thought I'd share what I learned today...

Capt'n

Another nod for a lommis IMX, unbeatable for sensitivity. After fishing any number of lesser rods, there's just such a clear difference with the IMX. Sure, it's probably a little more fragile, but also carries a lifetime gaurentee. And man, it's sweet...

Josh,

I'll post a nod for the St Croix rods. They are lighter and built better than the store brands. Yes, all the stores DO get their blanks from the same place. So they are all VERY similar.
The thing I like about the St Croix Rods is the fact that they have a nice flexible tip and a good backbone. They are not "whippy" like the store brands. However for throwing cranks and spinners the store brands work fine. There's my 2 cents.

Good Fishing smile.gif
Chev

I was told by a Cabela's product expert several years ago that they use the same blanks as Loomis; maybe he was full of it, but I own several CLS703 Cabela's rods, they are matte-finish Black exactly like Loomis rods amd I see no difference (other than price)in these rods over Loomis with the exception of handles and decals.

The hype I mentioned is in the Graphite Modulas composition given each rod is for the
amount of graphite each rod is composed of.
Every manufacturer will use the modulas designation 44, 55, etc. to their benefit so they can jack the price up, or make their product appear to be a better value than their competition--this is what I mean by "Hype".

I guarantee that when you compare a real graphite rod,e.g. St. Croix, Loomis, Cabela's XML Series to the other so-called "Graphite composit" rods you'll see the difference too.

The bottom line is that cheap rods are cheap rods and good ones are worth the expense if that's what you're looking for in your equipment. It pays to do your homework in order to make an educated purchase.

------------------
Chells

Like I said, you will see the difference in these rods in the weight. Pick up a loomis or croix and then pick up a a gander******** or galyans, you will see the difference.

I still think that ****** ******** and galyans have nice rods.

I heard G-loomis no longer supplies anyone with blanks. They did in the past to Cabelas and others, but now find it is in their interest to not do this.

As for rods, I'm looking now as well. I had my mind pretty much set on the G-Loomis IMX, but after comparing side by side I think I like the St. Croix Avid better. I may need to look again at the IMX as the selection wasn't real good when I looked. I love Fenwicks as well, and have mostly all Fenwicks, but looking for something a little better for this rod...

Take a look at the Scorpion 1000 for reels... A souped up Curado made for the Japan market. That is an AWESOME reel - most people say it would sell for 250 if sold in the US. You can get them online for 150-165 - same price as the free spool curado more or less with more to offer... If you spin the spool it will free spin forever, by far the smoothest I've ever seen... should be just great for pitching smaller plastics and jigs.

------------------
- Addict
-------------------------
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
- Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 04-04-2003).]

I'm glad that someone straightened out the G-loomis dilema. This came directly from G-loomis and here is what they said:
"All of our rods are manufactured here at the factory in Woodland, WA. Each rod goes through numerous ( approx. 50) different steps in the process. Our machinery was custom built by Gary Loomis himself. Many of the processes are hand done. As far as 'other' rods being manufactured here. We have a very large facility so there are a few companies that have their blanks & rods made here but it is with their own designs, patterns & specifications."

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 04-04-2003).]

I know that G-Loomis and St. Croix are excellent peices of fishing equipment, but I have to give Fenwick a thumbs up as well. I bought a Fenwick Blackhawk in 1979 and it is still with me. It is extremely sensitive and the backbone it has can land about anything we fish for in Minnesota. It has landed 1-1/2" sunfish to a 40" strurgeon. Now I have several Fenwick rods, and will never have to purchase another one.

If you get the chance to check out one of the Gapen "Far North" fishing rods, I'll bet you'd like it. The guarantee is one of the best in the business and me being a river rat...What better name to trust than Gapen.

I own quite a few rod and reels and I picked up my third Gapen rig this year at the show. It was calling out to me as I tried to walk by...."Daaaark, Here I am! Take me I'm yours! We belong on the river together!" Well, I just happened to have the Visa right there in my pocket and my sponser did tell me to shop carefully.

I don't even know where to get them other than from their site or at the sportshow.

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

"Once you go Loomis too you'll never go back."

I would! Unless Loomis has changed the rod return policy. I've fished a GLX and Legend Elite side by side and they were almost an even match. More guides on the Croix, costs a bit less and is a much more hardy rod; plus that all one taper is cool. IMX's and GLX's have a reputation for being fragile.

With out reading all the post on this thread, let me tell you my experience with G Loomis. Years ago, I fell and broke two G Loomis'. My wife thought the were trash and thru them away. When she found out the replacement cost, she forbid me to buy two more (she's now my ex-wife). When I called Loomis and explained what happened they gave me two new rods, I just paid shipping.

Kevin that was a nice story, but I don't think you would get that kind of service today, I don't think they replace to rods for shipping only anymore.

The only thing I promote is a good time. I think if you would like to help this site and buy some tackle from Rick....Your a nice person. If you don't want too, thats fine too. I happen to identify with a few select products and I don't get anything but a chip from saying so. To each his own.

My only sponser is my wife, Sandy. Dosn't even rhyme with Rapala, Penn or Gapen.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Think about it-
We spend $10,000- 20,000 + on our fishing boat plus mega $$$$ on electronics and gadgets.
The cost of a good rod and reel is actually one of the cheaper investments we have to spend on the sport of fishing!
If you like golfing and play regularly, would you buy your clubs from walmart? The cost of just one good golf club is similar to a good fishing rod (except you need 14 for golf!)
The investment in a good rod such as a g loomis or st croix is well worth spending the extra money, especially for jigging and rigging.
I have a loomis 6'2" light fast action walleye series jigging rod, and a st croix avid 7' med light fast action rod for rigging,coupled with shimono stradic 1000 FH reels.
The extra feel I get from these rods is unbelievable!
When the walleyes are neutral (more often than not) these rods really give you an edge!
Well worth the money!!!
Just my 2 cents

Kevin Turner,

What years was it when you got your Loomis's replaced? I'll bet it was a while ago- Loomis has been bought out in recent years and the policies regarding replacement have been amended (degraded) greatly. Loomis, in my opinion and the opinion of a number of prominent rod makers, has gone down in quality and guarentee in recent past. That being said, they still make a nice rod. However, for the money, I'd buy a few different blanks before I'd buy a Loomis.
Scoot