• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Now I'm really confused with my GPS

Polar Bear

Question

OK...I've read all the posts and know less now than when I started. (Happens often to me...I'm not too bright)

Somebody just please tell me who makes lake maps with contours and waypoints for the major reefs and sunken islands that I can download from the disc to my Magellan 330 Map unit for the following lakes:

1. Namakan
2. Kabetogama
3. Lake of the Woods
4. Winnie
5. Rainy

I want simple operation. For example: if I'm at Arneson's reef on LOTW I wanna be able to hit "GO-TO 16 Mile Reef" without ever having been there before. Is this technology available yet or not?

Thanks for your patience with a GPS rookie.

Polar Bear

3 answers to this question

There are no contour maps available for Magellan products. Best thing you could do is usa a Lakemaster program to input the waypoints for those spots you wanted.

Rob

I have the same GPS. Most dont understand that on handheld units you cant get the lakemaster and fishing hotspots maps that show contours. Dont feel bad it happens to alot of guys.

There are alot of units that do it tho. Most of the lowrance councel(sp) units do but once again not the handheld. Also eagle and standard horizon.

If you have this handheld u will never get contours or lake maps on it period. As far as i know with the units that are around now.

That doesnt mean that you should give up. Lakemaster is great! All you do is the same thing u do with any lake map. Look for fishy areas. Sunken islands, points, heck you can make a waypoint for a boat landing on a lake you have never been to before. Once you have marked all the spots you would like to try download um to the gps and print out your map. The map will have all the waypoints marked on it and numbered the same as your gps.

Whew! Getting windy.

Also if you want to just do major well known areas like 16 mile on lake of the woods the info is easy to come by. The major structures on big time lakes are all findable. Buy the fishing hotspots map and the areas are all marked with the Gps info included. Just enter the numbers by hand. The manual will show you. There is also a video still for sale for this gps if you dont like flipin pages.

Im headin to winni in june and already have most of the major spots on my gps that i took off the fishing hotspots map. Next I will pull up lakemaster and look for other areas to try. I dont like crowds that much and the big name areas attract crowds and alot of pressure on the fish there.

For entering the stuff manually I think you hold down the button that says -- Mark go to-- for a few seconds then the screen will pop up where you enter the the gps numbers. also the name of the spot.

Hope this helps some.