• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor trouble

Question

I have a 9.5 Johnson that is a very hard starter,It won't run if I push in the choke so it basically runs at full choke all the time. It also runs for a time and then acts as if it is out of gas. and starts hard again. Any suggestions as to what to look into?

3 answers to this question

Check out your fuel filter, and lines to the carb. Sounds like something is clogged or constricted. Another thought (stupid) is to put in new plugs, and make sure the plug wires are matched up to the right cylinder.
I would put money on a fuel flow or carb issue, and start there. That's gotta be an older motor ('70's maybe?) so a can of SeaFoam wouldn't hurt.

I have this same motor, and I have had the same issues. I had to adjust the rich/lean knob on the front of the motor, below the pull rope. I have also accidently installed the fuel line backwards (dual fittings on the line with the bulb) and the motor cannot get fuel into the carbs properly. Check to make sure the fuel flow from the tank to the motor is going the right way.
My motor is cold blooded and I too have to use full choke for awhile. You may need to clean out the carbs, maybe try a little spray can of carb cleaner. Sea Foam does wonders too.