• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thermometer?

Aquaman01

Question

Hi.
I've seen the electronic thermometers that you drop down and read from the boat - too much $$. Any other ideas aside from a display on your sonar?

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

9 answers to this question

Hey Aquaman-vexilar made/makes a thermometer that clips on your line and can be lowered to a depth where it will fill up with water and the temperature can be read. I think they are about $5-8 and I don't see them everywhere but if you look hard enough or contact vexilar I bet you can find one.Good luck and tightlines!
redhooks

I use a swimming pool thermometer to real the water temp at the bottom of the lake. I rely on the temp the fish are at more than th esurface temp. After a while you can make assumptions on the tempeture at the bottom considering depth, time of year and themocline.
It kind of fun to see the water temps change fish patterns over the course of the year. If you keep a log of these you will definatly see a pattern. over the course of a year. And it also changes from lake to lake.
mw

Redhooks - found it. If I have to order it from Vex it's $6.00 plus shipping. Thanks - it's what I'm looking for.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{

You can find electronic thermometers with a 50 ft cord for under 20 bucks. I have one with the 50 ft cord and any other with 150 ft cord. I use them on Inland trout lakes and the Great Lakes. An other usefull tool is a small dial theremometer to take the fishes temp.

ST - Taking the fishes temp? Please give me a really, really good reason to shove a cake thermometer up a fish's _ _ _. shocked.gifconfused.gif

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{

A thermometer is an other tool to FIND fish. Fish are cold blooded, so the temp of the fish is going to be the temp of the water that fish desires. For example you catch a Laker and its temp is 49 degrees then you fish in 49 degree water. How do you know where 49 degree water is? You send your thermometer down till you find what depth 49 degree water is at. Trout are suspending fish. On the Great Lakes your structure is water temps on the surface and throughout the water column.
If your releasing fish and worried about hurting them well its just like taking your toddlers temp, just be gentle.

I did a qwick search for the thermometer and didnt find it. Pro Catch or something like it, even has water clarity reading. Its in my boat and my boat is still put away. I'll look around and see if I can find one online. I recommend the electronic one so you can get continuous reading at different depths.