• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What trolling motor would you buy?

Question

13 answers to this question

minnkota ! as far as the rest; it depends on what kind of boat you are putting it on. what and how you fish. if you fish in the open water( working breaks or flats) the auto pilot would be great. the power drives have a place giving you more movablity in the boat. if you fish a lot of shore line and do a lot of casting the foot control(or hand control) would be the thing.as far as power, be sure to have plenty to hold you in a wind. you want a shaft that is long enough so the prop stays in the water even in rough water. my .02 worth. del

I have a Powerdrive Minn Kota 12V 50lb. It worked good for my 16' boat, but when I put it on the 17' heavier boat it now struggles on windy days.
I don't like the Power drive systems anymore as it tends to eat up too much battery power.

I am definitely getting a Maxxum, cable drive, 24V as my next motor.

I agree with Scott on maxing it out... I was thinking I could get by with less on a couple past boats, but normally ended up on the uppper end and always glad to have the power to wip the boat around, fish current, high wind, etc..

All that I can say is whatever you decide to buy, make it a Minn Kota. I have a Pinpoint system now and although it has it's bonuses, I will not recommend it to anyone.

I've had Minn kota's in the past and loved them. My last boat was a 20' Targa with a 101 lb. Maxxum Minn Kota and that was a perfect trolling motor. I prefer the cable after having all types. The problem I have with the auto pilot is the mount is cheap and weak. That is one reason I went with PinPoint for an advanced trolling motor system. I'd go cable, Minn Kota, Maxxum if I had it to do over again...

Thanks everyone. My boat is a 20' Reinell deep v in the Fun Runner model. It is more of a rec boat but I do like to fish when the ladies are basking in the sun. It sounds like a Maxim 101 with cable is the way to go??? Anyway to put an Auto Pilot to a 101 thrust motor?

If I had to do it again I would get a cable drive motor. You will get more running time from your batteries since they are not being used to steer. Also, changing direction is instantainious compared to a power drive.
As far as the thrust and shaft go, you can always decrease and shorten what you have, but you can never increase and lengthen, so go with as much thrust that you afford.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail