Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What trolling motor would you buy?

14 posts in this topic

What trolling motor would you get if money was not an issue? Thrust? Volts? Auto Pilot? Co-Pilot? Shaft length?

Thanks!

minnkota ! as far as the rest; it depends on what kind of boat you are putting it on. what and how you fish. if you fish in the open water( working breaks or flats) the auto pilot would be great. the power drives have a place giving you more movablity in the boat. if you fish a lot of shore line and do a lot of casting the foot control(or hand control) would be the thing.as far as power, be sure to have plenty to hold you in a wind. you want a shaft that is long enough so the prop stays in the water even in rough water. my .02 worth. del

minnkota w/auto pilot and universal sonar is the way to go.

What ever shaft they tell you is good for your boat, get a longer one. Whatever pound thrust they tell you will work for your boat, get more-in atleast a 24v system.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Hard to beat the auto / co pilot for walleye fishing. Bass fishing I'd go with some type of cable steering.

PoleBender

I have a Powerdrive Minn Kota 12V 50lb. It worked good for my 16' boat, but when I put it on the 17' heavier boat it now struggles on windy days.
I don't like the Power drive systems anymore as it tends to eat up too much battery power.

I am definitely getting a Maxxum, cable drive, 24V as my next motor.

I agree with Scott on maxing it out... I was thinking I could get by with less on a couple past boats, but normally ended up on the uppper end and always glad to have the power to wip the boat around, fish current, high wind, etc..

All that I can say is whatever you decide to buy, make it a Minn Kota. I have a Pinpoint system now and although it has it's bonuses, I will not recommend it to anyone.

I've had Minn kota's in the past and loved them. My last boat was a 20' Targa with a 101 lb. Maxxum Minn Kota and that was a perfect trolling motor. I prefer the cable after having all types. The problem I have with the auto pilot is the mount is cheap and weak. That is one reason I went with PinPoint for an advanced trolling motor system. I'd go cable, Minn Kota, Maxxum if I had it to do over again...

I have had the auto pilot in the bast but personally never really used it. I agree with the Maxxum. I have a 74lb on a 24 volt system with the extra long shaft. Works great for me.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Thanks everyone. My boat is a 20' Reinell deep v in the Fun Runner model. It is more of a rec boat but I do like to fish when the ladies are basking in the sun. It sounds like a Maxim 101 with cable is the way to go??? Anyway to put an Auto Pilot to a 101 thrust motor?

???
-24v 65lb cable drive (maxxum) vs a 24v 65lb Powerdrive motor

Which would be better

If I had to do it again I would get a cable drive motor. You will get more running time from your batteries since they are not being used to steer. Also, changing direction is instantainious compared to a power drive.
As far as the thrust and shaft go, you can always decrease and shorten what you have, but you can never increase and lengthen, so go with as much thrust that you afford.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

Definitly cable-drive. Much more responsive and sensitive. Maxxum 74 would be a fine choice. Also, go with 31 series batteries.