• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Benelli Nova

Seabass77

Question

I am thinking of purchasing this gun. Has anyone had any experience with it? The foregrip is very loose and every one I picked up seemed to need a little oil on the guide rails but other than that, it seems like a pretty nice gun...I like that is shoots 3 1/5" shots.

Any help is appreciated.

13 answers to this question

The fit does feel loose, but that is by design. The friction in the feed rail goes away with use. This is arguably one of the best pump waterfowl gun out there dollar for dollar, but, dang, it's ugly!
However, I'm still a big 870 fan due to ones ability to get extra parts and supplies like choke tubes, barrels (slug, etc). The downside here is that it is a tank. The supermag shoots 3.5 shells.

The Benelli Nova is an ok gun. Benelli wanted to come out with a gun that would be closer to the price ranges of the average person. Compared to their autos which range from $750-$3000+. I think they sacraficed some things in doing this. They are durable and they do shoot. But yes they are ugly. They do shoot the 3.5" mag shells though.
If you do buy one shop around. There was a huge difference in price last year at various places.

Good Luck
Chev

Johnsonator is right on. I have a buddy with a 870 Super mag and another friend with a nova. They are both good guns for the money but the 870 is a tank and he to has had problems ejecting the low brass shell that we use for trap but anyother load no problem. The other guy with the nova like his as well and he doesn't have the recoil reducer. We duck hunted all fall with 3 1/2 and he never complained. You have to remeber any 3 1/2 is going to kick like a mule but when shooting at a target like a moving bird I never even notice and I have had days were I ran 50 3 1/2 through mine. Like mentioned with a pump your always going to get kick, I have a Super Black Eagle and it is awesome. I notice very little kick with it. I work with a guy that I has a 11-87 super mag 10 gauge and a 12 gauge super black eagle and he said actually his 10 kicks less but it is really heavy. So if you are concerned about kick get a autoload and if you don't want one of those you will just have to live with a little kick.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWALLEYES

I owned a Nova for awhile. Overall, it is an OK gun for the money. My two big complaints were trigger travel and rough action. I have never owned a shotgun with so much trigger travel. There were many times, I thought the gun was on safe because I pulled up to shoot and nothing happened because you had to pull the trigger so dang far. This is so frustrating.

Action. When I bought mine, they were on backorder, so I got the one that came in with my name. They are so prevelant now this isn't a problem anymore. Take them off the shelf and play because every one is different and find one that is smooth and has a decent trigger. I spent a lot of money with a gun smith and they couldn't do a whole lot with it so now someone else owns it who doesn't care that you have to pull the trigger a mile and that the action is rough.

After a year of frustration, I bought a cheap Winchester 1300 pump and am happy again. The Nova is a good option if you get a good one, but they vary too much from gun to gun and I have found I really don't need the 3 1/2.

I am a good enough caller if I can't get them 20 yards from the decoys, I am not doing my job. You hit a goose or duck in the head at 20 yards and he isn't going anywhere.

I bought my son one 2 yrs ago. he wanted a camo synthetic so i started out looking at the remingtons and the owner at the gun shop steered me to the nova.the boy (20 yrs old not really a boy anymore) really likes it and has had no problems so far. i think they are kind of ugly too but i am kind of old school, i like my wingmasters.

I have owned a black Nova for 1 year now. It has been the best investment I have ever made in a firearm. This gun is bullet proof. I have never had a problem, even when I lost it in a bog when duck hunting. I have shot every size shell through it and it works great. The 3.5" does kick hard but all pumps kick hard. The recoil reducer cuts the recoil a little but it also makes the gun heavier. I think the Nova out performs the 870 express magnum hands down when it comes to reliability. My buddy has a 870 express magnum and it has had some problems ejecting. It is a very good gun for the money, and for a hunting gun who cares if it is ugly, as long as it gets the job done. For $279 you can't go wrong.

Have shot one for 3 seasons now. Don't buy the reducer until you have shot it. It kicks like a mule in the pit patterning the gun but put a bird out in front of you and you won't even feel it. Did blow an ejector spring out of it after about 2500 rounds. About a $40 fix. Probably would have been taken care of under warranty but was worth the money not to deal with the hassel of boxing it up and mailing. Wish all the manufacturers had the the set up for warranty repairs like Remmington. Make sure you get a good feel of this gun even shooting a few rounds through it. Very long gun and if the stock can even be shortened, it will be costly.

I think that they are pretty good guns for the money. However I have a 835 ulti-mag and I can't say enough good things about it. I have had mine for three years and it has worked without flaw the whole time. I can say it is the most durable gun I have found. I think that if you want a durable GOOD gun you can't go wrong with the 835. My freinds that have the Nova say the same things about their guns and I have shot them before and I think they are nice guns. Really I don't think you could go wrong with either of them!
><>deadeye

I'm the guy iffwalleyes is talking about that owns a nova...

I was a little hesitant about buying a mostly composite / plastic gun, but I've had it now for 3 years and I don't have a single complaint. Due to a lack of funds I used my nova for a league skeet shooting for 2 seasons (somewhere around 1000 shells per year... I shoot a fair amount during the summer) and never had one miss fire, jam, etc. It is a long gun, and since it shoots 3 1/2" shells the throw is long... which isn't an issue once you get used to it.

I don't have any complaints about this gun... in my opinion it's a gun well worth the money...

marine_man

Picked one up in August this year. Sure it's ugly, but I think the Pontiac Aztec is cool. So that says a little about my tastes. I wanted to get a gun that would be the gun I beat around this was it and it has stood up to the challenge. Also shoots quite good. But for under $300 I couldn't resist.