Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cluelessfisherman

Lake Master and Custom GPS map Q's

28 posts in this topic

Well, time for me to get with the latest technology and not rely entirely on Clueless luck anymore.

Hope someone can help me out with a few of my questions.

There was a discussion a while back about the Lake Master maps and how they came out with a package with 250 lakes instead of the 101. Is fishingmn planning on carrying this package in the near future?
Also, if I read correcely, the maps show only 5 foot depth changes (unless I get a Mille or Leech reel bottom - which I won't because I don't fish them exclusively) - do the CUSTOM Maps show better contours than the 5 feet? There are some lakes on the lake master list that fall under the 13,000 acre requirement, and I would be willing to purchase a custom map of a few of those IF it shows better structure/depth etc.. Not to mention some much smaller personal favorite lakes that I may have to order.

Also, does anyone know of any plans for a Rainy/LOW map? If there is, is it strictly in the US side, or does it extend into Canada?

Thanks for your help!

------------------
Clueless - -

They were trying for the 3 foot contours and I just heard they were pushing for the 1st of June now for it's release.

Great maps and Rick has the best prices.

Ok, Just a few more questions.

Is Lakemaster doing the 3 foot contours for the 100 or so lakes, or are they just doing it for certain lakes? Are those expected to be more accurate than the 5 foot contour ones are now?
Perhaps the best thing for me to do is just get the 5 or 6 lakes I primarily fish custom mapped to ensure a little more accuracy. But can larger lakes like Cass/Pike Bay be custom mapped? Or should I just wait till June for the new maps?

Sorry guys!
The questions will all end someday... lol

------------------
Clueless - -

Here is a little more info for ProMap LakeMaps:

They are now mapped in CD-ROM for:
Mille Lacs, Vermilion, Winnibigoshish, Leech, Gull, Ottertail, and White Bear These are highly accurate.

They are also mapped in waterproof maps for:
Mille Lacs, Leech, Gull and White Bear Lake. These are also done in 1' contours, are highly accurate, even adjusted for the curvature of the earth.

We have a lot of different map info for you below.

Just click here and enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 08-09-2004).]

Quick Question.. I have an older copy of Lakemaster MN. I had it installed on an old computer. I got a new computer this year; tried to load my CD and it would not accept my LM code?? I was just going to wait for the new maps ( 3') But at least the old maps were a starting point. When will the new maps be available and what can I do with the old version? Coffee cup coaster?

Hi Second Chance,
the 3' contour maps (ProMap Series are now available.

Use the "Contact Us" link below and I'll start the process of getting you an upgrade if you'd like or help you get you old system rolling on your new PC.

I'll need your registration code, name and phone number when you use the "Contact Us" link below. Please also indicate what you would prefer in the type of maps you would like.

In the meantime,

Please click here and check out your options to see exactly what you would like.

You will have fun checking the info out regardless. I agree with Springerguy, even a GPS unit can be tough for a novice user. The software is actually pretty easy to work with if you know how to use a PC and GPS at an average level of proficiency. It's pretty standard operating procedure for both.

If not, you can always get the Waterproof Paper Maps.

We're here to save you money (check the cost savings) and provide you great customer service.

Again:
Please click here and check out the lake maps available.

Are the custom maps still available?? I like the 3 foot contour maps, but they don't have any for the Bemidji area - yet...
Until then, I would like to just get 3 or 4 of my favorite lakes custom mapped. But I didn't see them offered anymore.

Thanks,

------------------
Clueless - -

The custom maps are not currently available. I will let you know when they do become available again.

I am wondering if there are any plans for a ProSeries map planned for Prior?

[sorry, not at this time]

So, I've purchased the MMC version of the ProMaps. What do I need on the PC side to read the map and create waypoints? I thought everything I needed was included?

Tom

[the MMC chip is just the chip that goes into your navionics enabled GPS. The CD-ROM is for your PC and you do need a GPS to PC connection normally included when you get a GPS unit]

Rick, can I buy a ProMap Series BigLake Maps Lake Minnetonka 1' CD-ROM? I can't find it on the site. Email me at ebach@srfconsulting.com. Thanks

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm confused.

The description of the Lake Master products available on the web site here has me unsure of what I get for what cost or in what item number.

I want the entire works: The 1ft contours for the 4 lakes. The 3 ft contours for the 50+ lakes, and the 5ft contours for the other 200 or so lakes. Not sure exactly what item # I want or combination of item numbers I need to make that purchase. A little help please. Don't want to buy duplicates or leave anything out by mistake. Thanks.

[you would get Code: A609 ProMap Series CD-ROM with 51 Detailed ProMap Series GPS Maps and 206 LakeMaster Minnesota Edition Maps.]

If your unsure give them a call or email, they respond quick and are helpful.

I had the same questions as you when I wanted to get the Vermilion ProMap on CD-Rom.

[use the "Contact Us" link below. Put Lake Map in the subject and your question in the body]

If you want them all and want the best deal you want the ProMap Series CD-ROM Code: A609.

Just go to:

http://Minnesota-Lake-Maps.com and
click ProMaps for more details.

Then click the link towards the top that says:
Alexandria, Brainerd, Metro, Winnibigoshish, Mille Lacs, Leech, Vermilion, and White Bear lake ProMap Series
Click to order or for more info.

OKAY, I bought item A609 from Lakemaster and installed on my PC right away, registered the product. Got my new GPSMAP 76s from Garmin and I'm like a kid in a candy store ready to go. When I look at a map (Mille Lacs, White Bear, etc) or do a search for waypoints I get no lakes listed, and can't seem to see the way points on the lake.

Maybe I'm confused and I'm feeling a little stupid asking this but I thought the CD came with preloaded recommended waypoints as places a guy could try when exploring a new lake for the first time.

Are a set of preloaded waypoints provided on the lakemaster CD at all ? OR do you have to create your own waypoints on the map on the PC (based on your guess of what looks like a fishy location) and then import your guesstimated spots to your GPS ?

Its not that I'm not capable of sitting down and looking at a lake map and saying this is good walleye, or bass structure and marking it as a spot to try, its just I thought I was buying a product that would do some of the initial location finding for me.

Thanks for any replies.

No, there are no pre-set way points on the ProMap software. You need to do that yourself.

In my opinion, the ProMap software is the best thing since the invention of the electronic depthfinder to enter the world of fishing.

If you have even a slight sense of what to look for as far as reading structure on a lake map, ProMap will put you on fish. It's almost unfair.

BUT you still have to get the fish to bite grin.gif

------------------
>"////=<
GullGuide@fishingminnesota.com
www.marcum.com
www.stonelegacy.com

Thanks Tom, guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.....pouring over the Mille Lacs map looking for good structure and reading the posts in the Mille section about locations early and mid season. There is so much detail on that lake its just incredible. I agree its a great mapping tool.

Here are my questions.

Do you have to purchase the Lakemaster Lakemaps priced at $49? Someone told me you had to buy this as it had the program needed to run the the Promaps. Or could I not just buy the Promaps as a starting point?

If you purchase the Promap Series A609, is the map of Mille Lacs (or Leech, Winnie, Whitebear) the exact same map as the Biglake Promaps?

I just want to have the best possible map of a few lakes (i.e. Mille Lacs 1 foot contours, Leech) and am wondering if the best way to go is the Promap Series or purchasing the individual lake.

If you are buying single lakes in ProMap series (BigLakes) then you need the $49 LakeMaster as a base, then you buy the big lake upgrades you want.
Click BigLakes at
http://Minnesota-Lake-Maps.com

If you want 3 or more of the ProMap lakes then get the ProMap 51 Lake Series (You won't need the $49 LakeMaster, it's included).
Click ProMaps at
http://Minnesota-lake-maps.com

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-12-2004).]

Rick, I have a GlobalMap4800. If I buy the A600 CD rom can I transfer a whole lake, say Mille on a MMC chip? I assume I will need to purchase both the A600 CD rom and the Mapcreate 6 assessory pack with the MMC/SD card reader and chip? I am looking for the best bang for the buck and want more lakes than just the 4 Big lakes that come on a Big lake MMC chip.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 04-21-2004).]

You cannot transfer from the CD-ROM to your MMC chip. The LakeMaster LakeMaps are proprietary and cannot be copied over.

Rick, I spoke with an authorized dealer today and have heard there is talk of a new MMC chip in the works that will include all of Minnesota. This would be the 4 Biglakes in 1- foot, the 57 surveyed lakes, plus the 200 some regular maps. Rumor has it this may be available as early as this June but there is no firm date set.
I am trying to avoid shelling out 400 for 2 chips and get Mille and LOW,Rainy on the same chip.

Have you heard anything new in the works?

[there is nothing new on that front right now. Sorry, someone gave you poor information.

HOWEVER there is a pretty good line-up of MMC chips available CLICK HERE to see them.