• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4-Stroke Outboards

Question

I am considering buying a Nissan 4-Stroke outboard motor. Does anyone have any experience with these motors? I like the idea of the 4-Stroke so I don't have to hassel with mixing fuel and I would like to use it to troll. Any comments or suggestions?

11 answers to this question

I see Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha's out number Nissan on the water by about 50:1 I don't own one yet, but judging by the numbers, the other three are doing something right. I have fished/ridden with all three and they are all great. Suzuki has the best warranty last I heard. 6 years. Good luck.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

What size are you looking at? The small single cylinder ones don't idle down very well and have lots of vibration. The bigger ones are ok, but I would opt for a efi version by Mercury, Suzuki, or BMCA.

I've also owned a 4 stroke Merc. 9.9 that I used as a kicker on my last boat. I can say that was very quiet and smooth. I'd recommend that engine to anyone.

We too have a mercury 4 stroke 9.9 and it runs really quiet and smooth. We havent had any problems with it except for something in the carburetor sticks sometimes causing the motor to die once you give it any gas. It is a pretty heavy motor too if you are gonna take it on and off the boat alot.

I used a smaller 4 stroke when they were still fairly new as a loaner that was 5 HP. It was very noisy as compared to the larger 4 strokes. I wasn't at all impressed. I'd go to a dealer and see if you can listen to them run before you decide on a small 4 stroke.

I can't even remember what brand it was as we only had it on loan for a week trip in candada. It was a japanese brand that at that time built some smaller 4 strokes for Merc.

My friend has a Nissan, 2 stroke. It's not a four stroke, but overall the quality of the motors I've seen is poor, IMHO.

I would recommend spending a few hundred extra bucks and buy something better. You have to consider parts and service, I wouldn't recommend going the cheap route because it will cost you in the end.

I know my Honda 15 is indestructible. It sees a lot of abuse during duck season in the marshes, and it's a kicker on my bigger boat in the summer.

Have you looked for used 4 strokes? They do exist, just look for them. Heck of a lot cheaper.

I've had two 4-stroke Evinrudes a 15 and 9.9 and fished with Hondas in Canada, very quiet running and idling, in colder weather or when the motor hasn't run for a while you'll be amazed how much harder it is to start. I've found you've got to give it a lot of gas and choke it for a really long time (3-4 minutes) once you get it to fire while warming it up. Both motors, actually any 4 stroke I've used. Other than starting, they are great, also a lot heavier although in a 6 no big deal(you don't get that really nice smell and rainbow of oil in the water I love, though!)

I have a Suzuki 4-stroke and have never had to choke the engine. Even after sitting all Winter and fishing right after ice out. Maybe this is why Suzuki brags about Digital Fuel injection. If it doesn't start in 3 seconds or so something is wrong. I can't imagine cranking for a few minutes as an earlier post mentioned.

FYI,
The small outboards (suzuki included) that you are considering do not have fuel injection (in general those less than 40hp).
Follow proper warmup procedure and you should have no problems with "cold-bloodedness" syndrome.
Xplorer

No such thing as cold bloodedness with the Honda. Most mornings are cold, sometimes below zero while duck hunting, 2 or 3 pulls and we are gone. Never a problem.